Monday, August 27, 2012

Blatant Favoritism

Question: Who is your favorite God or Goddess from each pantheon?

Oh, man, what a doozy of a question. It's really hard to choose "favorites" - I mean, they're all awesome, you know? But we'll try, just for you.

The Aesir:
Anne: Loki. He's one of my favorite mythological characters ever; interesting, complex, and mysterious because despite having great stories about all the things he does, half the time we have no clue why he decided to do something or what his master plan might have been. He's in some ways the lifeblood of the Aesir, keeping stories interesting and solving problems that more upstanding gods couldn't have. Also, without Loki, the Aesir are way more boring.
John: Odin. I like more complex, deep-waters kinds of gods, with lots of motivations and possibilities.

The Amatsukami:
Anne: Amaterasu. Sure, sometimes she has a tantrum and plunges the world into blackness, but in general the sun-goddess is one of the most super-badass people in the pantheon, able to back down even Susano-o if she really decides to get into it. She's powerful, she's not afraid to show it, and she echoes an ancient matriarchal social dynamic that modern Japan has mostly forgotten. She kinda of rocks.
John: Raiden. Most of the time the Japanese bore me, but Raiden is hilarious.

The Anunna:
Anne: Ereshkigal. I think she's an impressively cool lady - a female death god who demands the respect of her male peers, not to mention being the only person alive who refuses to take Ishtar's shit. She may be a little bit psychotic, but that tends to run in Mesopotamian ladies.
John: Marduk. He's King Big-Dick.

The Apu:
Anne: Supay. Where else do you find a dude who is not only mind-meltingly terrifying but also sometimes inclined to drop ridiculous blessings on your head only to ruin everything in a Faustian death-bargain soon after? He's all the riches of Hades, the horror of Hel and the stone-faced adherence to order of Yama in one terrible package, and he will make you a billionaire as long as you agree to die three days later. No other god is so awful in such a cosmic and well-ordered big-picture way.
John: Viracocha. Because before Anne started yelling about Incas he was the only one I had ever heard of.

The Aztlanti:
Anne: Huitzilopochtli. I can't help it - he's basically an expression of uncontrolled and ultimate power, and that's awesome. He's in charge, he's undefeatable, he's carrying the freaking world on his back and he still doesn't need more than paper armor to deal with any weaksauce opponents who dare come at him. He had literally hundreds of people sacrificed in his honor every year, and was yet one of the most beloved gods his people ever had. He's amazing.
John: Tezcatlipoca. He's mysterious and powerful, complicated and unpredictable, and basically insane but somehow still one of the major people in charge of the universe. Awesome.

The Bogovi:
Anne: Veles. I love this guy. He's part of the essential universe and has one of the nicest houses on record, yet he is also all about laying down the smack when necessary and pranking the living shit out of his pantheon members to teach them lessons.
John: Chernobog and Bielobog. I know they're not playable, but that's not going to stop me.

The Celestial Bureaucracy:
Anne: Nüwa. She's a lot of fun things at once - a cosmic creator, a progenitor of the species, and a cranky vengeful lady who torments and murders people who sass her. Also, she's a dragon.
John: None. China makes me take naps.

The Devas:
Anne: Surya. I'm not sure if it's the old-school Vedic Deva-ness or the super awesomeness of a dude who is both the stars and the sun and still finds time to be everyone's friend, but Surya's the kind of badass I dig.
John: Ganesha. Because, like Raiden, he is totally hilarious.

The Dodekatheon:
Anne: Hera. I feel like Hera is kind of an unsung badass among the Dodekatheon, stuck with a shitty job and a badly behaved husband and a lot of centuries of people casting her as the bad guy but still a classy lady who doesn't have to take shit from anyone. She's awesome and I am jealous of everything about her except for Zeus.
John: Dionysus. He's the subversive of his pantheon, the id, subconscious and secret desire as well as the catalyst that forces those things to the surface. He's one of my favorite Greek god concepts (but seriously, I wanted to pick all of them).

The Elohim:
Anne: Kothar. A really hard choice - I love the Elohim - but when a guy is a badass who lives in another country and only drops in to totally change the tide of wars with his mad awesome magical weapons, I have to give him props.
John: Baal. Are there other Elohim?

The Loa:
Anne: Orunmila. Yes, he's not in the Loa as originally written, but that's because the Loa are a big bucket of mess as originally written. He's a super savant prophecy god in a culture that treats destiny as something you build rather than something built for you, and that's freaking cool.
John: Shango. I also love gods that are batshit insane.

The Pesedjet:
Anne: Sekhmet. Apparently this is my entry on the "we love crazy people" list, but there's something about the super unfettered but also very natural bloodlust of the lion-goddess that I really enjoy.
John: Set. Because he's also King Big-Dick. I love the Pesedjet, though, I want to pick all of them.

The Tuatha de Danann:
Anne: Nuada. Remember when things were good because the High King was this awesome justicey badass who ruled everything perfectly and was the only responsible person to be found in his pantheon? Those were good times.
John: Lugh. And then there was Lugh, who does what he fucking wants.

The Yazata:
Anne: Mithra. I'm a sucker for the old Indo-European Persian-Indian connection, and Mithra's managed to be awesome in no less than three major religions (those two, plus ancient Rome). He's a talented dude.
John: Vahram. I've been reading more about him lately, and he just turns into more and more of a crazy badass when I do.

But yeah, really we just read this question and spent two hours talking about how we wanted to pick everybody because they're all so awesome. How about you guys - who are your favorites?

17 comments:

  1. Oh boy what an awesome question!

    My favorites:

    Aesir: IDUN. It made me a little sad you made her unplayable, but I like your current set-up for her (Legend 10, Health and Fertility) because that's pretty much what I'd go for with her too. I am going to shorten my opinion on the Aesir to say that while I love their concept as a Pantheon and their myths and legends, none of the Legend 12 Gods individually stand out to me. I always found Idun to be the coolest because I thought she was -different- than the standard [Insert Adjective Here] Viking Warrior. After reading her myths and legends, I love her relationship with the rest of the Aesir and, in particular, Loki.

    Amatsukami: This is a hard one, because unlike John I find the Gods of Japan to be INFINITELY AWESOME, all of them, being so full of character and color and history. I want to choose 'all of them' but I am going to go with SUSANO-O. We want to talk hilarious Japanese gods, and Susano-O isn't in the room? If you piss off HIS SWIFT IMPETUOUS MALE AUGUSTNESS, he throws a flayed horse into your bedroom and shits in your bed. Whereas the other Amatsukami are very prim and proper and drinking tea and observing their laws and etiquette, Susano-O is that guy who doesn't shower and smells constantly of fish who scratches his ass in public and asks everyone what the fuck is wrong with them. When it came time to choose a Scion to make of the Amatsukami, I chose RYUJIN, but Susano-O is definitely my favorite of the Amatsukami to be certain.

    Anunna: ENKI. I'm not much of a guy for trickster Gods, but Enki is special to me in that he comes across as a sort of Robin Hood, causing trouble and playing tricks that always end up causing good in the end or saving the world as a result. He's a Good God, one who doesn't view mankind as completely expendable.

    The Aztlanti: Hard one for me. I love Mexican culture, and I love their native Gods, and the more I learn about the Aztlanti the cooler they become, so while I may have once had a single answer I now have many. I happen to have a statue of Tlaloc (or, more specifically, the Mayan Chaac) in my basement, but that doesn't necessarily make him my favorite. Every single one of these Gods has something awesome about them, and I'd definitely be up for playing a Scion of any of them. In the end, however, I'm going to have to go with QUETZALCOATL. Like Enki, I view him as caring more about mankind and that appeals to me. Unlike the other, more brutal and deadly Gods, Quetzalcoatl is a wise teacher and bringer of hope and idealism. I really like that.

    The Celestial Bureaucracy: GUAN YU, because he is an instrument of justice upon the battlefield!

    No, I'm kidding, my favorite is GUANYIN the Merciful Goddess...can you guess why? (See the other Gods above.)

    The Devas: SHIVA. I love the idea of a Chaos God, a GOD OF DESTRUCTION, who is not only not evil but not even a trickster. His Chaos, his Destruction, is just a part of life. Without him, the old would be sick and miserable forever, things would stagnate, the merciful end would never come. He is the God of the justified revolution, the necessary end, and that is really awesome and unique amongst Gods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love Idun, too - she's unique in a lot of ways, from not being Aesir herself (she's alfar, or at least descended from them) to being one of the few women in a position of power in the entire mythological canon. I was reading something the other day talking about how Idun illustrates the Norse need to conquer and take in women from other sources - i.e., getting Freya from the Vanir, getting Idun from the elves, etc. - because those females always represent the things the Aesir themselves can't do, like fertility and preservation instead of war and shouting. Idun's kidnapping was a very real moment of WTF for the pantheon - they didn't just want her back, they needed her, just as they need all their (usually ignored but cosmically super important) ladies. Cool stuff.

      I also love Enki. He's the nicest trickster god on record, but still hilarious.

      Delete
  2. Dodekatheon: Eeek! How can I possibly answer this one! How??

    I'm going to agree with Anne...HERA. I don't need to explain why because Anne already did. I hate that everybody either classifies Hera as a bitch, or knows she's a bitch but justifies it because her husband's an asshole. Forget the fact that she's a bitch AT ALL, she's the QUEEN OF HEAVEN and she's a patron of women and marriage, and she really does care about humanity and loves them - look at her patronage of Jason in the Argonautica!

    The Loa: uh, the Good BARON SAMEDI. He's a pretty cool guy I guess.

    The Nemetondevos: hey you left these guys out - CERNUNNOS. As John said with the Elohim, ARE there any other Nemetondevos? The others are all just the Greek Gods except you didn't take away Taranis's Epic Strength because 'the only time he ever had it was in the battle with Typhon' or whatever the Gaulish equivalent is :P

    The Pesedjet: HATHOR. She is gentle and sweet and beautiful and she is a mother Goddess who is feminine and loving and caring and not a complete bitch for once. Also she's a Cow. I'd totally play an adopted Scion of her sometime.

    Tuatha de Danann: THE MORRIGAN. She's like the Fate Goddesses in every other culture, except a playable Goddess. She's Legend 12, but she's just so unmistakably more powerful than most Legend 12 Gods. It's not that she has more majesty, or that she seems to have more purviews or even that she's very Titanic. She's just linked herself with Fate so inexplicably that she knows all and sees all. She is the inevitable end to all things in the way that Shiva is, but she is not benevolent, and she is not malevolent. She simply is. That's awesome.

    The Yazata: MITHRA. Yeah, the other Yazata are pretty cool, but Mithra is just...so awesome! I mean, yeah, three different religions, and the Romans knew how bad-ass he was, and Sol Invictus, and just...Mithra. He's Superman. He's St. Michael. He's the bad-ass who will save your ass, and encourage you to take up arms against evil with him. He is a Hero to Everyone. I love Mithra.

    The Elohim: BAAL. I'm sorry, Anne, I wanted to pick another more obscure God but I love Baal. I played a Scion of him as soon as it was possible.

    The Bogovi: I will come back to this when I actually read the Bogovi supplement. :( They don't really interest me that much.

    The Apu: INTI. I really like the idea of the young, spoiled King of the Sun, sitting crowned in gold on his high throne, bossing all of the other Apu around and being so full of himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't even notice I missed the Gauls! I agree with you, Cernunnos would be my pick - he's awesome.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, we dont really play with them anymore because of that reason...they kinda dont exist.

      Delete
  3. Just going to cover the pantheons I know enough about to give a justified answer.

    The Aesir:
    Bauldr, because, everyone loves Bauldr, who couldn't? Though I can never picture him portrayed as anyone except Sean Bean...poor Bauldr.

    The Amatsukami:
    Raiden, I agree with John on this one, a crazy bellybutton eating orge-demon being Japan's Sky AND Guardian God? Lawls.


    The Devas:
    Shiva is pretty amazing, the passive nature of destruction and rebirth couldn't be there without him


    The Dodekatheon:
    It's a tie.

    Hermes: Hiiiighlarious, this guy makes my day when he comes up in our games and his...interesting relationship with Thoth makes him all the more mysterious.

    Zeus: Come on now. How can anyone not just love this guy? He makes the rules you play by them? Try to revolt? Get strung up in chains by the sky, but you still think he is the bees knees! Epic Chaisma and Justice at it's best. Also, who hasn't turned into a swan to get their freak on?


    The Pesedjet:
    Anubis: An awesome figure and cool cat, also the fun that we have an episode of Jerry Springer going on with who is the father is always fun drama added.

    The Tuatha de Danann:
    The Morrigan. This is the source of all things scary, dark and sexy, you're terrified to look at her but too terrified to look away.

    The Yazata:
    Mithra. I just love this guy, totally awesome.

    The Nemetondevos:
    Cernunnos is terryfing...and not just because my main PC is a Scion of Zeus...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My answers look so boring and stupid.....I should have payed more attention when anne was talking to me about this question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aesir: While it was a bit of a toss up between Odin and Loki at first, Loki wins. For one, I love trickster gods, for two I find his tales simply amazing.

    Amatsukami: While I agree many of them are interesting, none of them ever truly jumped out at me in such a way to be a favorite. Though, I think in the end I'd go with Susano-O for the same reasons as Jacob, he's damned hilarious.

    Anunna: Ishtar. She's the prideful Queen Bitch, beautiful and mercurial in mood, and patron of pleasure. What's not to love? Something about her is just enrapturing, though I suspect after the next game I play (where I'll be a scion of her) my views may change.

    Aztlanti/Teotl: Tough one. I really do love Michtlantecuhtli, Tlaloc, Tezcatlipoca, and Huitzilopochtli. Hell, I love most all of them, not just those. In the end I suppose Michtlantecuhtli, also for humor. I always imagine just the unmoving corpse in the underworld, and joked that it wasn't a god, just a corpse on a throne that everyone's too afraid of to know it's nothing more. I find most everything about him strangely hilarious.

    Celestial Bureaucracy: Chang-E. She was the only one I originally knew much about (well, and Houyi), and even now is still my favorite. No reason in particular, I just really like her myth.

    Devas: Ganesh! He's such a great guy, the remover of hurdles and obstacles. Bringer of good fortune. Just a really good guy. The fact that he and his myths are funny doesn't hurt.

    Dodekatheon: While I'm a big fan of Hermes, Hades, and Hecate, my favorite will always be Athena. Athena the wise. Been that way since reading the Odyssey years ago.

    Loa: I'm tempted to say Samedi, as he's an amusing guy, but I'd choose Legba/Khalfu. I like the dichotomy is really what is boils down to.

    Nemotondevos: Cernunnos, like anyone would say different. The archetypal mysterious Horned God, something that's always interested me.

    Pesedjet: Bast. While the Egyptian gods are all rather interesting, there's nothing to make any of them particularly stand out as a favorite, except for being a Cat goddess. Silly reason, yes, but a reason nonetheless.

    Tuatha: Morrigan, much the same as everyone else's reasons. She's strange, mysterious, the fate goddess that may or may not be three people. She's just fascinating, and I can't wait to see her appear in a game.

    Yazata: I suppose Vayu, if only because of how much I enjoyed the myth where he withheld breath from man to prove how he was the most necessary god. Not so say Mithra isn't impressive as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apu: None of them really stand out in a way to be a favorite. My a re-reading is in order.

    Bogovi: Chernobog and Byelebog, easily. They were really the only ones I knew beforehand, and ninety percent of the reason why was American Gods. That also influenced my preferring them now.

    Elohim: Moloch, he's horrifying. Though Dagon would be amazing, if only for the opportunities to make a plot hinting that Lovecraft wasn't all that wrong with his own Dagon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Moloch, I almost chose him. He's just so lurid.

      Delete
  7. Aesir-Odin, if only for the reason that he is so dedicated to knowledge and wisdom. And I also like his connections to the wild hunt.
    Amatsukami-Raiden. Because, really, who doesn’t like belly buttons?
    Anunna-Ereshkigal. Because I like women who don’t take shit from anybody, I’m partial to psychotics and I’ve always had a special connection with chthonic deities.
    Apu-Supay. For all of the reasons above.
    Aztlanti-Tezcatlipoca. Who doesn’t like a god who is so powerful that his Nahual is a god of its own? Plus I have a soft spot for tricksters.
    Bogovi-Veles. Because my love affair with sorcery and the underworld is combined in this god.
    Celestial Bureaucracy-Sun Wukong. Because I absolutely adore Journey to the West.
    Devas-Ganesha. Mostly because he doesn’t have the six-pack most other gods seem to. He looks more like me (and yes, my ears are that big).
    Dodekatheon-Hades. Because out of all of the big three (Hades, Poseidon and Zeus) he seems to be the most well-adjusted. And his most stable relationship began with a kidnapping!
    Elohim-Moloch. Because he seems to be the precursor to the western idea of a demon, and I find that to be interesting (it’s about the only thing I find interesting about this pantheon).
    Loa-I’m going to have to go with Damballa, though I have a soft spot for Kalfu.
    Nemetondevos-Tarvos Trigaranos. Because I can, that’s why. (And because none of the others interest me in the least. If I’m going to play Celtic it’s going to be with the Tuatha De Danann.)
    Pesedjet-Sobek. Because I love his name and I’m fond of crocodiles. And being the god of the Nile in a land that relies on it would give him a lot of power.
    Tuatha De Danann-The Morrigan. For all of the reasons listed above.
    Yazata-Vayu. Because something about the combination of death and sky really speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no there is another Jacob! This is going to be so awkward. Like Tom and Real Tom. :( I will always link to my tumblr though!

      Delete
    2. Oh, there are two of you! I was just wondering why there were so many Jacob comments in here. :)

      Delete
    3. Roy (Previously Known as Jacob)August 28, 2012 at 2:38 AM

      I'll just be Roy. Problem solved. (Unless there's another Roy. Then there will be a Battle Royale to see who keeps the name.)

      Delete
    4. BATTLE "ROY" ale! !!! OMG ITS TOO GOOD!!

      But seriously you guys could just make a google account(which you probably already have) and completely solve these problems.

      Delete
  8. I also curse wayyy too much in your mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Aesir: Utgard-Loki. He may not be a playable god but I adore the way he entraps Thor with his illusions and challenges. He is written as a clever and savvy ruler, and in many ways appears to be a good mirror of Odin himself.

    The Amatsukami: Inari. Most of the Amatsukami are ridiculously prim and proper or brutally savage. Inari comes off as a genuinely nice kami, or group of thematically related kami if you swing that way. He is frequently helpful and the one god out of this pantheon I would genuinely like to meet (and live to tell the tale).

    The Anunna: Sin. An ancient sage that watches over everything and imparts his advice and good will upon all who earn his favor? He sounds like the kind of person I would love to sit down and talk to for untold hours at a time.

    The Aztlanti: Tlazolteotl. I love gods that entrap people, and Tlazolteotl loves to tempt men into doing sinful and naughty things right before delivering divine justice for transgressing.

    The Bogovi: Chernobog and Bielobog. I first got interested in them because of American Gods, and then sat down and really read a handful of myth books about them. I have been in love with the two of them ever since.

    The Celestial Bureaucracy: Sun Wukong. I am not attracted to him because he is a culture hero. I am attracted to him because he represents what happens when the Celestial Bureaucracy is faced with something they absolutely cannot overcome through sheer force alone.

    The Devas: Shiva. No other Deva story makes me crack up more then the one about Ganesha defending his mother, and Shiva coming home to find this stranger keeping him from her. He just decapitates the poor guy and once the situation is explained to him, he tosses on an elephant head like that was a perfectly normal thing to do.

    The Dodekatheon: Hades. Out of all the interesting members of the Dodekatheon, he appears to be the most upstanding and decent member of the bunch. Certainly he was feared, but he almost never acts like a total dick unless someone takes what is his.

    The Loa: Baron Samedi. Once again I love gods that like to entrap people. It was a sin to have fun and relax instead of working hard unless you were elderly or a child. So Baron Samedi entices you to have fun and relax and then punishes you horribly for your sin. You were only safe if you were young, old, or dead.and in the afterlife he was the host of the eternal party.

    The Pesedjet: Set. I am attracted to Set not necessarily because of what he did, but instead because his myth seems like a great example of someone using social powers to completely screw him over and syncretize him with Apep. Also, the actual history of why that happened is pretty fascinating as well.

    The Tuatha de Danann: The Morrigan. She has more raw charisma than any other person in the rest of her pantheon, and even to this day people know who she is and use her as a symbol for female empowerment. She was the goddess you loved to hear about but never ever wanted to actually meet.

    The Yazata: Sraosha. While he sounds like an incredible bore to be around for any amount of time, he is the embodiment of the ideals of his pantheon. Someone earllier mentioned that Mithra was superman, but Sraosha actually acts like superman all the time and without a second of hesitation. He is the ultimate boy scout (except when he is getting his divine justice on).

    ReplyDelete