Monday, October 15, 2012

The Science of Storytelling

People came to our house unannounced, computers ate footage, but here we are anyway, technically on time with a new vlog! Today we talk about storytelling and some of the challenges Storytellers face when running games.


Question: I have a question on Storytellers. I know that in a sense they control the game, but truthfully the 3 or 4 I have been with have been assholes, jerks or seemed so out of it that they made it not fun for the rest of the players. I'd like to find a group that does Scion games nearby me in California, but it seems like there are not many people who have even heard about the game. You know a decent Storyteller in CA, or have any tips on being a good Storyteller so I can give my friends a good game if I run one?

Question: I have just started STing a Scion game for new players, and this is the first time I have ST'd anything. My characters are Scions of Andarta, Baron Samedi and Thor. Do you have any suggestions for this specific situation?

Question: How would you keep gameplay interesting once the characters have reached the limits of their power and they cannot grow anymore in terms of skills? How do you balance the desire to keep playing a character against the power that character wields? Do you think that playing a character who can't grow anymore in terms of skills or purviews or anything makes playing that character less fun?

For those looking for it, the post John is referring to is this one here, in which he talks about figuring out how to relate unrelated gods at the beginning of the Better Next Time chronicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment