Friday, October 26, 2012

Sing Us a Song

Question: Do you use music in your games? My long Scion campaign is the first in which I am extensively using it, and I would never go back in any setting without it. I was wondering how you addressed and used music in your games.

Different Storytellers all have different styles on music, I think, and how it helps (or doesn't) their games. I've played in games with no music at all and games where the Storyteller kept a constant loop of music playing at all times; they tend to have very different feels, which means it depends on the group how useful music can be.

For us, we use music occasionally but not all the time; we've found that having music on constantly during a game is distracting, especially when social characters need to have conversations or description-intensive moments benefit from everyone's attention being on the Storyteller instead of the soundtrack, and sometimes it can stifle some players who have a particular image of the scene if the music seems to be more geared toward a different interpretation. However, we do use music once in a while because it's great for specific mood purposes; when the Strawberry Fields game stumbled into a situation similar to a zombie movie we played creepy horror scores to highlight the scariness, and during Ragnarok we often played epic symphonic music during the large battle scenes to help lend them more gravitas. What the characters are doing in a scene can also bring music to the forefront; if a character happens to actually perform some music or specifically get music into the scene, we'll often play something appropriate to show off what they're doing.

And, of course, characters with Theme Music get to bust that out whenever they spend for the power (most of them have their Theme Music saved on their phones or tablets so they can just hit a button and jam on with their bad selves). We also play music for NPCs that have Theme Music, and it's a fun audio cue for the players - they know that if "The Saints Go Marching In" starts playing over the emergency loudspeakers, the Baron is about to make an appearance, or that when AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" starts blaring out of every passing car radio, they're about to be descended on by Mamaragan.

When and how much you want to use music in your games really depends on the preferences of the Storyteller and players; I know that when I was in a game where the Storyteller played music the entire time I was always pretty annoyed about it, because I personally have trouble not paying attention to music when it's playing and was therefore always mildly distracted from what was going on, especially if the music didn't match the scene. But I also know many players who feel that it really adds to the game and love to have as much of it as possible, so if that's the case for your group, keep on rockin' all the way into the wee hours of your games!

6 comments:

  1. I'm rather fond of the FFVII boss music for big battles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but THEY don't!

      Delete
    2. There's quite a few tracks from Two Steps From Hell for boss battles, check it out!

      Delete
  2. I love using music in my games. I use music from movie soundtracks primarily (instrumental), depending on what I need. Then I categorize several playlists by mood, so if I know this scene should be tense, I can throw on my Tension music. Or if someone is giving a dramatic, melancholy speech - bam - there's another playlist for that. Breaking it up like this helps me drive the pace of our sessions. Music cues can speak volumes to the players about the atmosphere of a scene, I think, in addition to my descriptions.

    I'm constantly on the lookout for great music scores to incorporate - but despite my musical hoarding I think a better approach for people trying this out for the first time would in fact be to limit the scope of music and stick to a specific theme for a single chronicle, which supports the themes of the stories themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's fun about soundtrack is they usually have a track for each mood.

      I find there are two types of music in gaming: Theme music and player music. The first is to be fitting with the scene you are trying to build and the emotions it should stir. It should fit the universe you are trying to bring to life. The second type of music is about punching your players in the gut.

      They will have favorite artists or specific tracks that either get them going or bring them to tears. No, Cat Stevens isn't playing in the background when there's a deep Odin-Odinson talk, but it does affect that particular player. For another, it might be NIN, Miles Davis, w/e. The more I know my player's musical tastes, the more I can instantly create the emotion I'm looking for just by putting on the right track.

      I also have a player (like me) who doesn't know much music, so I tend to hand him out lyrics or go with more generally-instrumental tracks.

      If you are not familiar with music, I recommend searching your library for movies or games you enjoyed and look up on youtube for the soundtracks. What I do then is surf on the suggestions, following the theme I am researching for. You can also type ''top 10 love songs'', then surf on those too.

      There are some easy giveaways. I use some tracks from Skyrim in my Aesir game, as you have all ambient themes possible. The tavern musics are neat, not just the battle ones.

      Delete