Sunday, August 11, 2013

Layout Woes

Question: The character sheets of Eztli and so on are all individualized. Wich softwares could your recommend to do just that?

Ooh, I am so sorry. I hate answering these questions because there is actually no answer.

Our character sheets are actually PNG images with nine thousand moving parts; each line of text and each dot filled in is a separate object, meaning that I just go in and manually change things to customize. It allows flawless flexibility - literally, I can do anything my meager image-editing skills can dream up - but it's not easily reproducable. There's no program that you can just plug your stuff into and go.

However, we have some kinda helpful stuff here on the website. For those who don't need to customize as much of the sheet (for example, you don't have to add Ori channels or extra Legend blanks or whatever else), there's an editable PDF version of the standard character sheet that you can download and use to your heart's content, provided you have a program that can save editable PDFs without losing their contents (Adobe's a real bitch about this, but we've had good results with PDF Xchange Viewer). Alternatively, if you want to go the same insane route I do, you can download the PNG version; it has all the movable individual objects of our sheets intact, so as long as you have a program that can edit PNGs - Photoshop, GIMP or PictureIt should all work - you can move stuff around and do it the long, painstaking way I do it.

Before anyone asks, both of these sample sheets haven't been updated for recent changes - they both still feature Industry, Craft and Science as well as some knacks we phased out, and the drop-down menus for the PDF version have the defunct Industry boons as options - but I'm hoping to take a day and knock those out soon. In the meantime, good luck!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for answering, though by now the PNG madness has taken ahold of me allready.
    (nice new sheets look nice)

    And FoxitPDFreader works as well for saving edited .pdfs by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, good! I stopped using FoxIt a few iterations ago because of the watermarking, but you're right, it's probably perfect for this!

      Delete
  2. I have some I made for my groups, and we use (most) of John & Anne's rules. They're sort of editable if you have Adobe Acrobat (I guess? They are to me, I've never really tried on someone else's PC) but they were actually made on Illustrator (if anyone really wants those I could just email those files).

    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8hKquYjlOvHS1FkaGQ4WlJOZ3M/edit?usp=sharing

    They're nothing fancy, made mostly to serve my group's needs, and I have no idea how to make that editable form magic that Anne did, but if anyone finds them useful go crazy on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, those are really nice! Clean and useful, and I like the modifier line instead of trying to figure out what all is attached to every stat (that's where our players usually write them in anyway, although they don't have a line there).

      Thanks for sharing! Hmm... I'm tempted to use these for Hero games now instead!

      Delete
    2. Lines are important! :P

      By all means, if they're useful to you (or anyone out there) they're yours. For all the awesome content you bring us, I'm more than happy to give back, even if just a little bit.

      Delete
  3. Despite using JSR rules heavily, mine use Mr. Gone's sheets, which isn't a big problem since we're in eternal hero games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we still use those until Demigod, too - it's easier and they don't usually have enough stuff to bother with making a giant fancy sheet. Mr. Gone makes good stuff.

      Delete