Saturday, August 17, 2013

Anne's Fiction Corner

It's that time again, and I hope you guys are all ready for this story, because our players definitely weren't. Today's story is The Fall of Tenochtitlan, starring Geoff Matheson with appearances by Sangria Tecuhtli, Mitchell Gozer and Marcus James, not to mention an insanely star-studded supporting cast. It is a tale of divided loyalties, devastating betrayal and events that change the world forever.

I just realized that for some reason I accidentally labeled the progress bar as Sangria Fiction this past round, even though it's technically Geoff fiction. But that's okay; Geoff may be the narrator and it may be his story, but you'd better believe it's Sangria's story, too.

Before I put up a new voting poll, I want to turn to you, the readers and players, for a little advice about how to plan for new fiction as we move on! John and I have been wondering if the current method of voting is really the best one, since it tends to skew toward always the same characters. I love all the characters, so I'm generally happy no matter what, but there are a few different things we were thinking of trying.

  • Vote for individual characters, just like we do now. Everybody votes for whomever they're most interested in, and life continues as normal.
  • Vote for individual games - that is, Better Next Time, Eastern Promises, Gangs of New York, Strawberry Fields, whatever. Everyone votes for the storyline they want to see more of, and then I'll write the next story in that line, which might be from any of the characters involved.
  • Vote for individual characters, but rotate the voting per game. This time we vote only on Eastern Promises characters, next time we vote only on Gangs of New York characters, and so on.

Or something else that you guys think of that I haven't. Or maybe nothing needs to change! I don't know, I'm very unfocused right after I finish something.

Winona won with some kind of crazy old woman wizardry, so she'll be getting the next story. Tell me what you guys think, and we'll put up a new voting poll soon!

17 comments:

  1. I really think the best option is the third one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would certainly make sure we had some variety!

      Delete
  2. The second would be neat, keep seeing a new world every-time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, although there is some danger of the same world always getting voted in.

      Delete
  3. I like the second one. I feel like that one is...healthier? And it's kind of what it's becoming anyhow in its own way. Like I'll vote for Aurora and she'll end up winning but you realize 'eh wait actually I need to tell Woody's side of the story first so this will make sense.' So instead I'll just vote Skeins of Fate, and you can decide whether or not the story is best continued from Aurora's perspective or Kettila's or Woody's or Vivian's.

    Or 'A Song of Ice and Fate.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I love that alternate title.

      We might try that out for a while - I only worry that the main line will always win and EP and GoNY will end up shut out in the cold all the time.

      Delete
    2. Well I will always vote for Aurora so I'd be a culprit of that. I really love Mohini and Faruza too (their origin stories are my favorites out of all the characters) so I would always like to see more of them too...but having the option between them and Aurora, especially when Aurora's story is leading up to Ragnarok and with all the excitement and anticipation surrounding that it's kind of impossible not to want to see where it all goes.

      I guess I agree with John that 'Ragnarok only til Ragnarok' would probably make us happiest, but it'd probably feel annoying as a writer to just tell the whole story of one thing when you have so many characters in your head. Maybe a combination of 2 and 3, where you'll write a Better Next Time story so Better Next Time is out in the next poll?

      Delete
    3. Hmm, true. I do want to make that marathon run to Ragnarok, but I'd hate to ignore everyone else. They're so much fun!

      That's a good point - I've previously taken people off the poll for the next round after their story, so I could do the same kind of thing here.

      Delete
  4. or! ragnarok only til ragnarok!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another vote for option 2 from me, I think it's definitely better (this way you decide which character's POV serves the story best).

    While on the subject, would it be possible to create a chronological Fiction section per game, instead of all of it? Or maybe a blog post, since an entire site section dedicated to it could be a ton of work.

    This is just me nitpicking though, I've read through most of your fiction, but the times I've wanted to go back to it either to refresh my memory on an upcoming story or to reference something I thought was cool for my games I always get lost and end up scrolling through unrelated stories for a while before finding the right one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually planning to overhaul the fiction section once Winona's story is done; it would be helpful to separate the three different continuities, and I'd like to have better signposting so people can find things. I'm also thinking about maybe expanding it so that we can also post some of our nifty fanart in there.

      So hopefully some of that will help. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow. That was breath-taking. I can only imagine how mind-blowing Ragnarok will be if it out-does this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :)

      I think this was probably one of the largest non-Ragnarok events we ever had go down. Players cried at the table.

      Delete
  7. I'm late to the party, but I think #3 seems like the best option.

    Voting by game seems only slightly better than by character, in terms of variety. There seem to be a few favorite characters among the blog readers, and I feel like we'd just see their game's stories over and over. Though I suppose there's always crazy Canadian wizardry to throw a wrench into the gears.

    But, also, only Ragnarok until Ragnarok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, we might try #3 also. I feel like there might be a little bit of a trying-stuff period here while we work out what we like best.

      Delete