Thursday, January 2, 2014

Media Woes

Question: I checked out your pronunciation guide. I don't know if it's my computer or another issue, but the audio files just say "Invalid Source" to me. Any advice?

Hummm. Are you running the new Internet Explorer, by any chance? I'm seeing some people complaining of that error popping up in IE11 as I poke around a web search, but it seems to be working fine for folks in Chrome/Firefox. It's a very simple HTML code, using the <source> tag. The files are in .WAV format, so they should be readable to any browser.

For the sake of investigation, I just went and tried pulling the pronunciation page on the last three versions of IE, just to see what it would do. IE9 refused to display the files at all, just leaving the space blank as if there were no audio player in the code, IE10 worked fine, and IE11 threw me the same "Invalid Source" error you're getting. Ah, the magic of Microsoft.

It may be an error with our host server not conforming to the correct MIME type (which unfortunately I can't control) or a problem with a setting somewhere in IE, but since your guess is as good as mine, I'm not sure I've got a great fix for you - sorry! I'd suggest trying it in a different browser - I know the most recent versions of Chrome and Firefox work, and would guess that Safari and Opera are probably similarly compatible.

If all else fails, all the pronunciation files are in the /pronunciation folder on our server, so you can always go there and listen to them individually. It's more of a pain in the butt, I know, but at least it works!

9 comments:

  1. Hmm...I notice there are a lot of names in that directory that aren't on the page, like Ahrima, Baba-Yaga, Circe etc. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact, now that I've seen the whole list, all 12 Titans are present. And Demeter. And Malinoxochitl. And Byelebog and Chernobog. Yikes, you guys could make a whole new page with this other stuff.

      Delete
    2. Ha, oh, yeah, there are a few in there that I finished but didn't put up yet - we were still deciding what to do with lesser gods/Titans. So... secret bonus?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any chance of pronunciation guides for the Alihah? All those "q"'s with no "u"'s puzzle me no end. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely. :) I'd like to get pronunciation up for all the pantheons that aren't on the site yet, but just haven't gotten around to it. You don't want me recording sound right now anyway - until this cold clears up I sound like the Cryptkeeper.

      But yes, doing those are on one of my many lists. Hopefully sooner rather than later. :)

      Delete
    2. The Cryptkeeper kicks ass! I think that would truly immortalize the pronunciations. :-)

      Delete