Friday, May 4, 2012

Faking It Until We Make It

Question: Jack of All Trades and Know-It-All seem to do similar things at first glance, but a closer look reveals that Know-It-All is drastically more powerful. Is this intentional or did you intend to make them identical?

This question baffled me for a bit. I was like... "What is this crazy person talking about? They are exactly the same, except that Jack of All Trades has two more abilities attached to it so actually it's technically a little bit more powerful than Know-It-All. Someone on drugs is reading our website."

But then I reread them and realized that while Know-It-All specifically notes that it allows the use of Epic Attributes, Jack of All Trades does not (it doesn't mention it one way or the other). Sorry, folks; just as it does in the original book, Jack of All Trades also allows the use of Epics, which we didn't include there because it was written before Know-It-All and we all already knew it and forgot to note it. The two knacks function exactly the same; please pardon our dust as I go update Jack of All Trades so it's clear on that point.

Thanks for pointing that one out!

Edit: Huh. As I was fixing Jack of All Trades, I also realized that Know-It-All apparently does not mention that it also can't be used if you already have dots in that ability. Facepalm. Fixing that, too.

7 comments:

  1. Know-It-All also allows you to benefit for an entire scene, while Jack of All Trades only allows you to benefit for a single roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knack says lasts for scene for both.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I wrote the wrong thing. Know-It-All allows you to benefit all listed abilities for an entire scene. Jack of All Trades only allows you to benefit a single listed ability for an entire scene.

      My mistake.

      Delete
    3. Know-it-all definitely says x, x, x, or x. Meaning only one of the abilities.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you were right. If I got confused I wonder if other people would?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. perhaps, what about the phrasing was confusing?

      Delete
    2. Umm.. I think that got me was missing the or. I thought you gained phantom dots in all those abilities. Jack is a little more clear about it being one ability because you state they only gain it in one ability. KIA only says or.

      Delete