Sunday, September 2, 2012

Ragnarok ruminations part 3

What went well? What did I think was successful?

I think it succeeded at its main goal. It was epic. The insane amount of food, treats and alcohol helped. The excitement and commitment of the players contributed a ton. But it certainly succeeded at being epic.

I'm generally more of a critic then a praiser, especially of my own work, so this chapter will be much shorter then the following one.

On reflection, I realize that sometimes what worked and what didn't work depended on the tiredness level of the players and myself when we were on that part of the game. So I'll try to keep that in my mind.

There was almost always something to do. A lot of that was based on emotional response to stimuli, but for the most part people had their hands full but not too full. Part of not overwhelming the pcs was forcing them to make choices. It was impossible to be everywhere at once. Clear choices of "I'll save this but not that" had to be made.

My favorite success was that the choices mattered. Pcs weren't always successful, but every choice they made changed the outcome of things. Because ragnarok lasted so long, these choices kept compounding til they were making choices based on other choices they made the day before. They got to experience small changes they created in an inevitable event.

Pcs reactions were also excellent. I don't have much to do with that but it was perfect. Amongst the two new groups of pcs that came to the battle new alliances were formed and new groups were working together.  There was also new strife and problems.  Cool new stories and relationships happened.

Combats were smoothish. Sometimes things took a long time and the entire thing definitely took too long, but each individual part let the pc be part of a giant combat while kinda having a spotlight in them without wrecking the giant feeling of the fight or making it feel like they were too much the center of attention.  And it all happened with a smoothness that the base system certainly doesnt allow.  It didnt really fit a Tick system and wasnt perfect, but it worked well for that massive massiveness :)

The whole set up worked.  The different places blending into each other, and the many enemies and allies were awesome and constantly hit the PCs with awe and terror, but there were some flaws in it so I'll talk about it more next time.

Most importantly we had fun. It was the longest most epic gaming experience I've had and I think everyone involved probably agrees ...so...mission accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment