Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Uptime

Question How much time passes in your chronicles? Do you give your players months or years or even decades of downtime to weave their Legends and allow for major, sweeping changes to the landscape of the world? Or does everything happen fast-fast-fast in just a few days?

Both and neither. We don't do "downtime"; there's no time happening between game sessions in which the players are not involved. Each game picks up exactly where the last one left off, meaning that whatever was happening then is still happening, and whatever the PCs want to do is accomplished during gametime. We've found that players are generally not interested in stuff happening offscreen without them (unless necessary to the plot, of course, in which case we just have it happen somewhere they aren't) and don't have any inclination to randomly go home for a few weeks in between adventures. There are worlds to save, people to influence, personal projects to complete and occult deadlines to meet. They have a lot of shit to do.

However, this also doesn't mean that our games only happen over the course of a few days. How much time passes in a game session varies wildly depending on what's happening and what the PCs decide to do. Some sessions span only a few hours of "in-game" time (ironically, they last for a shorter period than the time it took us in real life to play them); if there are a lot of combats going on, those can cause time to crawl, as the most protracted of combats usually doesn't last longer than three minutes or so of in-game time. Characters choosing to go on diplomatic or political missions that involve a lot of talking and meeting of other characters can also keep much time from passing in the game's world.

On the other hand, sometimes entire years pass in the span of a single game session. Geoff and his band once had to trek through a jungle Terra Incognita outside of Huitzilopochtli's personal Sanctum that took them just over fourteen months to navigate but which only took a session and a half to play through. Visits to the Deep Dark Forest of Norse myth or the Hedge outside the fairy realms often take weeks if not months in a single session, as the PCs wander around lost and get into various unforeseen scrapes.

And, of course, sometimes there are entirely alternate timestreams going on at the same time, such as when Goze was locked in a Psychic Prison and experienced thirty years while only ten seconds passed for everyone else in the real world.

So for us, everything happens in real-time within the game world; changes to the landscape and World occur exactly when they do, and PCs deal with them if they happen to be there (or discover what's left afterward if they weren't). We never saw much point in "downtime"; the PCs weave their Legends by being awesome and doing awesome things, after all, and that's what they do during game sessions. If Aiona decides she wants to take a week off to go to her Sanctum and build some kind of preposterous coal-powered monster machine, she does that in-game, and everybody else does other things for a week until she re-emerges. If Eztli has to go sequester herself during the nemontemi, everyone deals with her not being around right then and the ST keeps track of what's happening with each set of players. And if everyone decides to take a week-long vacation in Australia, they tell us so in game, tell us what they're doing, and then we continue on playing after that week of in-game time is over.

I believe a total of about five years has passed in-game for most of these kids now (inmates of Psychic Prison notwithstanding).

23 comments:

  1. And there was the time we visited a crazy inn and emerged two years later, even though we were only there one night!

    I'm sure John regrets that now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupid giantesses and their cheating with illusions.

      Why regret when you can instead force everyone to go on a gender-bending Dark Virtues political marathon adventure?

      Delete
    2. Oooh! I haven't had any of my PC's change gender! I should do that! It'd flip the Russian Scion right the hell out.

      Delete
    3. All you need is Undeniable Resemblance and a five-tick action. Heh.

      Or pick up an Animal that swaps sexes. I'd totally enjoy a Scion with Animal (Clownfish).

      Delete
    4. Undeniable Resemblence is also the defense against having your gender changed.. stupid kaede.

      Delete
    5. Well, it was to catch you up to that game! But then after catching up....you just kept speeding....stupid wednesday game.

      Delete
  2. I use «downtime», tough it is a misnommer. It doesn't mean the PCs are cooling off on a beach with margaritas. For me it means they can go about resolving personnal matters or get ready for the next adventure. The Freyr scion wanted to build a safe haven for her family (both mortal and not) while the Scion of Hel wanted to see the Fates and question them about ongoing future.

    Resolving these would take much in-game time alone with the PC with the others waiting for their turn. It allows me to make a narrative with the PCs choices. It's also a great opportunity to go in-depth with their relations with the NPCs. While it's not discouraged during game sessions, it's less appropriate. The same Freyr's Scion might want to sort some of her personnal issues with that seductively roguish Scion of Loki and yet keep an eye on her more regular companion, an easy-going scion of Baldur.

    So, yeah, I could develop the relations during game time, but my other 2 Scions would feel left out if I actually took the time to roleplay these. And then, that's ruling out these two, who also have personnal relations and objectives.

    «Downtime» allows my story to go to those depths without choking game time with one-on-one with a specific PC. When it's game time, my PCs can focus on the epic tasks at hand. They still move around these NPCs, but they don't require that much time in-game because of the options «downtime» brings.

    I don't always use downtime, but when I do, I use it between stories or chapters or when I feel like it ^^ . It also help my narrative. If players only move from one epic fight to the next, the devastation and epic proportions become dull. Sometimes, if there's always thousands of people dying and big titanspawns about, it won't have the same impact. You need the dust to settle from time to time to catch your PCs off-guard or shock them again. If your game is directed by Michael Bay, explosions and combat just don't have the same impact on the players after a while.

    Of course, downtime is just a tool in my shed to get this effect, but it's there. You can create stories that are part of an epic narrative with a calm or festive backdrop.

    That being said, I want to give enough downtime to allow their offsprings to grow. The easy way is to use time distortions or faster growing rate than human (maybe giving him milk from Audhumla, idk).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use downtime in a similar way. Between stories, or even just between two acts of a story, there's often a few days or even weeks of time while the enemy gathers forces or the Band waits to rally allies, or everyone just recovers after a battle. During that time, the Band takes care of personal matters or goes and works on their side projects.

      As a player, I get really annoyed when I don't have that free time, because I feel like I can only develop my character in the ways that the group wants to go. I can't send my Aisar Scion off to spend his free time convincing harpies to follow Duty, Valor and Order so he can redeem them and turn them into his winged minions, or recruit a rogue fu-lion to be his buddy. He wouldn't have time to translate the collected history of the Rasna people and write a Rasnal-English Dictionary.

      And of course when he finally gets married, he's gunna want to spend downtime just raising his kids. He wants like, a herd of kids. That's all stuff that's very important to his character, but not to the Gaul or the Shen or the Netjer. So during a session, it'd be out of place.

      Again, we play via GoogleDocs and can do things like that either on our own as simply narratives, or in small groups with the other PC's or the ST. That's why I like online gaming, it's way flexible.

      Delete
    2. Heh, "if your game is directed by Michael Bay"... somewhere, John just had a mini-stroke and doesn't know why.

      Our players are usually pretty good about waiting their turn in single-player situations - actually, they often resent it when they don't get to spectate on someone else's story! - but I can definitely see some players not wanting to sit around while someone else's story doesn't include them.

      Delete
    3. I feel like there should be a checklist to determine if your game is directed by Michael Bay.

      Mine is not. It has a distinct lack of explosions. Maybe I should add some explosions?

      Delete
    4. Quick checklist:
      -Is battle 70% of the purpose and time of your game ?
      -Are all the female NPCs, even the anonymous ones in the background, ridiculously sexy for no reason?
      -Is the US Army at least as important as your Band when they solve battles and other (?) issues ?
      -Does each of your fights starts/ends with huge explosions and the city being prey to flammes?
      -Do your pantheons come from outer space?

      Delete
    5. /stroke

      I guess we have the luxury of 8 hour sessions on sunday(when most of what you'd classify as down time action happens) so we just do it then. But we do sometimes handwave it. Generally though they havnt had a break in a long time. Everything is a dire, life or death situation.

      Delete
    6. My sessions are usually 8 to 12 hours, but just with that particular group. : )

      When you say they haven't had a break in a long time, do you mean they should or shouldn't ? Exhausting the characters (not PCs) is fun, but I try not to do it too often.

      I find that if everything is a dire, life of death situation, the PCs don't «appreciate» it as much as if it would happen often but not always. It is still Scion, so it can't be ''once in a while''. I find the emotionnal impact of these situations is lessened the more these situations stack one after another.

      Delete
    7. It always depends on the situation, really. If it was all constant "oh my god, life-and-death battle!" all the time, then yeah, they'd probably get desensitized, but sometimes it's also "oh my god, I need to prove my loyalty/love to my family!" or "oh my god, I finally have the chance to make right something I did wrong years ago!" They tend to get cranky if they have to sit around not doing anything for long.

      Delete
    8. I play fateful aura hard. Until the titans are put away, sitting on your ass gets you legend appropriate horrible monsters at your doorstep fairly quickly. Also, with End of the World scenarios about, that time is INCREDIBLY important. Must spend every second well.

      Delete
  3. I didn't mean your game specifically, I was generally speaking as in: '' if a game is directed''. Sorry if misstepped, didn't want to insult anyone : )

    My players also like to watch eachother, but I can't take my time without leaving the others wanting some attention at some point. I do roleplay one-on-ones, but try to keep it under 30mins. Downtime allows me to attack the Scion's personnal story specifically while I attack the Band's story during the game. It's not clearcut of course, as there are some scenes that exclude some players, but I try to accomplish what I need a bit faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for Source J, my PCs feel exactly the same way. They want to have some time to take care of their kids, etc... It's also good stuff for me, as these younger NPCs are so much useful as an ST.

      Delete
    2. No, no, you're fine. :) Just different strokes for different players, I imagine.

      Delete
    3. I think its possible, but makes too many breaks makes it difficult to keep the (fantasy) realism alive. There are only so many breaks your virtues will let you take while titans are roaming free and their spawn are destroying the world.

      Delete
  4. Look. Just because the MIST time goes towards explosions for their answers does not mean that they're channeling Michael Ba-- oh who am I kidding? Whittier arc? Explosion Distraction. Thuringa arc, explosive distraction. Avalon? Rock-explosion distraction. Greece? ... explosive nuclear-strike from orbit.

    ...I'll just, uh... be over here. Sobbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aynie, don't feel too bad. I'm pretty sure Michael Bay directs my game too.

      (All three hours of it, once every two or three weeks...)

      Delete
    2. Yeah I have more ticks on the Michael Bay list than not too.

      It probably doesn't help that all the portraits I pick for NPCs are all major actors...

      Delete