Monday, April 16, 2012

Witchy Women

Question: Why does Beowulf hate Hera and Kali, and vice versa? I can understand why he hates Loki (pure Norse hero vs. lying trickster).

Beowulf, I imagine, has an issue with strong, dangerous female types, especially mothers. They probably remind him uncomfortably of a certain lady that got pissed off about him killing her son and went on a rampage that he then had to deal with (we weren't using Sekhmet yet when his page was created and we now no longer use Beowulf himself, but if she'd been around she'd probably be on that list, to). I assume he is also not a fan of trolls, dragons, or poorly socialized cave-dwellers.

Hera and Kali probably could not give a single damn about Beowulf, if they bother to notice him at all; it's probably mostly a problem on his end.

Enemies and Rivals on JSR, though we of course do put thought in them, often have to do with things happening in our games as well as with the basic temperaments and personalities of the deities involved, so I wouldn't necessarily consider them gospel unless you really want to.

3 comments:

  1. Doesn't like poorly socialized cave dwellers? He seemed to get along okay with Sophia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often find the god rivals are more suggestions. They seem to make sure to pick a god from each pantheon without explanation. I've never considered the rivals outside the pantheon. I based inter-pantheon relations on the personality of the deities and what fits best for my story then what they seem to have randomly selected.

    ReplyDelete