Wednesday, April 25, 2012

John Has Uninspired Titles

Question:
1)The idea I have is a Scion game focused heavily on Fate and Prophecy and how they may not be so binding, and that actions of a few can change the course of the many. What are you thoughts on a game like this? Do you have any suggestions on how to capture that 'epic' feeling lacking in the other games?
2)Storytellers also playing Scions. It's worked fairly well for us in the past (we've been able to separate ST knowledge from character knowledge), and in this game I would once again be playing my Scion of The Morrigan (since she is a goddess of prophecy and a seer), and thus The Morrigan would sort of become more or less a 'patron' or 'hidden mover' to the Band. Do you think this is viable? Is it still a 'faux pas' even if the group can make it work and still be enjoyable as any other game?


1)Phew, difficult question. I think that can definitely work. I think a game that goes against fate has to be BRUTAL on the PCs. If they are doing what hundreds of other gods could not, they need to not get away from it unscathed.

I think there are two ways to go about it. One is slow rewriting and re-"defining" prophecy. You have to find a way to make the prophecy still come true, but come true in a way that you want it. Prophecies are generally vague, so you get some play room with the words and facts of it. It's a difficult thing to do, and one that I can't seem to do off the cuff with any particular one that I can mention (i.e. not one I'm already using in my campaigns).

The other way to go about it is brute force. This happened two weeks ago in our game. Terminus and Tezcatlipoca worked together to destroy a prophecy by venturing into the Titanrealm of Fate and slowly tearing it apart. It was dangerous and horrible. It left them both scarred and "fate-fucked." They have some permanent magical problems, and their fatebonds have gone all awry. But they were able to undo the prophecy of Mexican cities falling in the order Huitzilopotchli founded them, thus saving Tenochtitlan before the rest of the team and Huitzilopotchli returned to Aztlan. It was horrible, but it succeeded.

I think both options are excellent to mine for possibilities. I think a new generation able to rewrite the last generation's prophecies is a perfect theme for Scion, but it's a difficult one to do correctly. Prophecy still has to be VERY powerful, and Fate needs to rule all. But as long as you keep that in mind, and weave the story well, I think it can be done.

2) Usually I answer with a "well if it works with your group, sure", but I can't here. My answer is a very resounding NOPE. I've gotten in a few arguments about this in the past. And you have to believe me when I say I know where you're coming from. I run an average of 120 game sessions a year. I get to play in 1 game session a year, on ST Appreciation Day when my players all get together and throw an awesome party and let me play in a game. But for the rest of the year, I'm all ST all the time. And I would love to have the chance to create and build a character to play and watch him grow along with the other characters

But it's just not a good idea, for several reasons.

a) You cannot get past favoritism. You just can't. If you think you can, you're lying to yourself, or you're doing the opposite which is just as bad(having your PC ALWAYS be the one that takes the hits and gets shat on). You don't want your players to ever think there is unfairness at the table. This is hard enough when you have friends all together. It is even harder if one of the friends you have to adjudicate is yourself.

b) Any time you're spending with that, your personal PC, could be time you spent working on a story or an NPC.

c) Anything your PC does in a scene is taking the spotlight away from something a real PC could be doing in the scene. It's hard enough to make sure the spotlight is shared without the ST hogging it also. You also have to think about the roles in the group. In my 6 player game, there's a little more overlap than in my 5 player game. And sometimes PCs dont get the spotlight they deserve. In anything but a 2-3 player game I could see an ST character making this a real problem

d) Scenes just become so much harder to run. I loathe scenes where I have to play more than one main character at once. Jumping back and forth to give their reactions, expressions, interjections is a huge pain in the ass. I think very highly of myself and my skills, but having to run every single scene playing an additional person would be taxing beyond belief. Not to mention scenes where I'm playing 3-4 main NPCs... adding a PC to that would be miserable.

I know it sucks for people who have to ST games and don't get to play in them. I truly understand. But that does not give you license to make your games worse by playing in them, and I promise you, if you have a full-time PC your game will be worse. It's just a fact. Even if you're the GOD of STs, it will be worse than if you didnt play a PC in the game and focused your energy on the players instead.

You can still do everything you want with the Morrigan being a mover and shaker to the band, but you don't have to have your pet PC in there to make it work. I promise you it cannot possibly be as enjoyable as any other game. Because you are taking a portion of your STing skills, time and energy and devoting them to yourself instead of to the players.

14 comments:

  1. I hate blogger....why wont it type what I tell it to type? Maybe an Anne will come along and fix the formatting when she gets to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gunna pitch in and agree on the issue of the Storyteller having a "PC". I've never seen such a thing work out well. At best, they're plot devices that serve to provide hints and drag the PC's into action when things start going off the rails. At worst, they're Mary Sue's waiting to happen.

    If you want to provide a Helpful Animal or a Guide to prod the Band along, that's fine and good. Just acknowledge that it's an NPC and treat it no differently from the rest of the NPCs. When you start focusing your attention on 'your' NPC, you're not just short-changing on attention for the PC's but also for the NPC's.

    A Storyteller PC is naturally going to start take over the NPC cast. They'll be the ones to pass on information, the ones to fulfill important plot-related roles. Instead of this one (N)PC you could be using a whole cast of regular NPCs, providing a lot more variety and potential plotlines for the players to get involved in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sadly (especially for John, because believe me I live with him and I know how much he'd like to play instead of always being the ST), I've never seen an ST PC work in practice. It's not because the STs playing them are bad or anything, either; it's just because it's normal to love your PC and spend a lot of energy and effort on them, and want them to be a major part of the story. The chances of being able to do that while still being totally impartially fair all the way around the table are very slim, and the chances of being able to do it while still devoting all the energy and creativity you'd be using on stories and NPCs are nonexistent.

      We need to have ST Appreciation Day more often.

      Delete
  3. ST Appreciation Day is huge fun.

    I really want to, I dunno, watch the movie of Terminus and Tezcatlipoca heading into the faterealm to rip a prophecy to shreds. That sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was totally fantastic. I think Sowiljr rolled his Loyalty at least ten times to avoid going to try to help Terminus, because, in his words, "Fuck that place."

      There was an awesome climactic movie-moment when the Faterealm almost swallowed Delphi off the face of the World due to Terminus making a misstep, too. And romance, when his wife turned up to try to help him but then Vengeance extremitied and tried to murder him at the moment of his victory instead. It was seriously a blockbuster of a game.

      Delete
    2. That means the recap should be awesome when it's written up! And I can't wait for that. *Sage nod*

      Delete
    3. I agree with John. I'm also almost full-time ST and I would never have my own PC in my games. I have a few core NPCs that my players see often, but none of them are my PCs.

      Delete
    4. recap...super awesome....but super far away from getting written up :(

      Delete
  4. Original questioner here!

    Thanks for the responses, John!

    After playing some six or so sessions of Threads of Fate, my players reactions to anything is "FUCK". See, we only have 3 people, including myself, in our group for this particular Scion game and a few others, which is why I had asked the question about the ST PC. A 2 PC band is... well, ineffective, or just not fun for us. So, most our games have the rest of the band as NPCs. In our case, we've got:

    Aednet Dougherty, Scion of Brigid (PC)
    Baysan bint Faizah, Scion of Sekhmet (PC)
    Ciaran O'Kane, Scion of The Morrigan (this is the ST PC/NPC... thing)
    Peter Dorian, Scion of Poseidon (NPC)
    Ericka Fredriksen, Scion of Frigg (NPC)
    Isamu Murakami, Scion of Hachiman (NPC)

    In general, our bands consist of six Scions, and it's usually split down the middle with 3 PCs, and 3 NPCs run by the ST. Now, it's quite crazy and 'wtf' when we tell some people that's what we do, but it's worked for us quite well. I think part of it is because usually most of the NPC Scions in the band are already tied together by something (like a past adventure of what have you), so it allows for us to focus on the PCs that are new.

    In fact, in Threads of Fate, the main antagonist (as far as my PCs know) is Baysan's "half-brother", Afzal, a Scion of Set. Afzal basically set up Baysan's stepmother to be killed when she was told there was a relic in Egypt she could give to Baysan for her birthday, but she was infected with a rare strain of the West Nile fever and died. Afzal then infected Baysan's father with some of his mother's blood, and he too died, but in Baysan's arms. Afzal was then sent to a boarding house in Scotland (the game takes place mostly in Europe, so far) which he then burnt down and killed all inside.

    ...Oh, and Baysan's visitation happened at her mother's funeral, which was held at the British Musuem.

    My players hate me.

    See, the Prophecy that is guiding Threads of Fate is that sometime in an unknown era of the past, a Prophecy was written that said a group of Gods and Goddesses who became disgruntled with humanity and disgusted by their development would band together to reshape the world, destroy their pantheons, and remake the world and - godrealms - as they saw fit.

    Now, the Scions were told by their parents that this other band, of which Afzal is a part, has to act for the parents, in exchange for something in the 'new divine world'. In order to do this, they need to find seven relics of creation - one from the original seven creator gods - that are scattered on each of the seven continents, because they are what's required to perform the reshaping ritual without the powers of the original 'seven'.

    Thus, the Scions task is to find these relics before the other band does and bring them someplace where they can be protected. But, they don't know what these relics are, aside from the Holy Grail, which was deduced by Peter after they found out some information from a meeting they set up with Afzal - well more like they made Baysan talk to him despite her wanting to pound his face in.

    ...And this is all at Hero level.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terminus: Assault on the Fates

    I would watch this movie. Brent, start writing the score.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad my group of 6ish 2 of alternate Sting stuff and 2 others are planning to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say, playing out that scene (session) was pretty epic. But for most of you to read that story now, the choices would make no sense without seeing the transformation that Terminus has gone through.

    I will say this for it:

    A) it was truly epic
    AA) John is probably the most epic and through ST anyone has had the privilege to play with. I wish those of you who haven't had the opportunity to play with him could know what it's like.
    AAA) We really do need to have ST appreciation day more often.
    2) for the first time, Terminus actually may have fallen for Circe for her heroism In that situation. It was awesome

    ReplyDelete