Sunday, June 30, 2013

Anne Likes Grammar, Guys

Question: On the Sraosha page, the line "Sraosha is an enforcer for his pantheon, making sure that the laws are followed and that those who break them are subjected to their just deserts. " Has a typo. Deserts should be Desserts!

Actually, no, it shouldn't. The phrase "getting one's just deserts" refers to getting exactly what you deserve (usually because you've been bad). The word "deserts" means "what you're deserving of", so the phrase literally means "getting what you deserve." However, "deserts" is pronounced identically in English to the word "desserts", which refers to treats or sweet foods usually eaten after a meal, which has led to a lot of confusion and people who think maybe this is some kind of food metaphor for what you deserve.

It's not, though. "Deserts" is correct, even though you'll see "desserts" frequently in colloquial usage. :)

However, I love that you guys send in corrections to help us not have errors on the site, so don't let me discourage you! If this had been a real error, I would have leapt to correct it like a feline gladiator. Thank you guys for always eagle-eyeing the site for us!

3 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I feel silly now.

    Well, live and learn, and I'll keep an "eagle eye" out for any other problems. Did you see the thing on the weird linking in the Water Boons area? I don't know if that was just me, or if it was an actual issue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, don't feel silly. We've all done that - English is a very stupid language sometimes.

      I did see that, and thank you! That does need fixing, and I'll be doing it ASAP (probably tomorrow, since god-game's about to start today)!

      Delete