Thursday, October 3, 2013

Poster Incognito

Question: Are you going to keep the 'Anonymous' posting option? I hope so. I try my best, but I don't want to be recognized as someone who posts stupid things and then gets attacked by John. :(

Aww, don't worry, friend. John is a scary bear, but he's just passionate. And opinionated. And loud. And large. But he probably lives far away from you, so there's really only so much he can do.

We like having the option to comment anonymously, actually! It can get kind of confusing when there are several anonymous people talking in the same thread, but we don't want to make everyone jump through the registration hoops of Blogger just to participate in the conversation, and sometimes folks are more comfortable being anonymous when talking to a large audience of strangers, even if they could use a screen name.

So we have no plans to disable anonymous commenting right now! The only reason we would do that is if people started abusing it to make things hostile for others or fill it up with spam, that kind of thing, but you guys have always been pretty good about being respectful, even when things get heated.

Continue to enjoy your superhero masks! If we ever consider making a major change to the blog's running, we'll let you know first.

10 comments:

  1. I love it when John rants. It's a beautifully example of pointless nerd rage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O troll, you hide so well behind your veil of anonymity.

      Delete
  2. Stop saying "we". I hate the anonymous option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can feel the rage from here.

      Delete
  3. Ah, come on grumpy bear. I'm not trolling, I'm just...having a little bit of fun. And you got to admit whenever you have gone off on someone in the comments they almost always wound up just saying, "well lets just agree to disagree." No one's opinion gets changed and everyone goes back to their own House Rules.

    But hey, it's like I said, I'm a fan of your yelling, it's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never post anonymously. I just feel like if you've got something to say, you'd better either be prepared to back up your talk or bite your tongue. I know that goes completely against the point of arguing on the internet, but anon seems cowardly to me.

    Now there are probably some people who have something helpful to say but are shy and therefore hide behind the anon and that's not so bad but people who just use it to troll are full of it.

    also I love it when John rants too but it's never really as bad as everybody makes it out to be (I've never been at the receiving end though so maybe it's terrifying when you're getting mauled)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best defense is to just ignore it. He's admitted that he is a big Italian with rage issues, so not engaging probably helps him as much as it helps you.

      Delete
  5. I often use the anonymous option because I'm in a hurry - and it's sometimes hard to post from my tablet using the full option. As for trolls - any good Aesir knows what to do with a troll...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tie them up with the gut of their child and feed them their poison-spiked blood?

      Delete
  6. Don't think I've ever done anything to direct John's rage at me, but should it happen, I will have to take comfort in the 3+ mountain ranges and probably hundreds of dollars of gas money between me and him.

    ReplyDelete