Monday, June 11, 2012

Let's Pretend

Question: This is a question of two parts. If you could be a real life Scion, who would you like to be your parent, and who do you think your parent would really be?

Anne: Huh. You'd think I'd be a child of the Tuatha or Nemetondevos, just ethnically speaking, but none of them particularly fit my personality all that much (I'm kind of deficient in the drinking and fighting arenas). I'd probably be a Scion of someone like Sarasvati, soakin' up and pursuing the knowledges (and that music degree I have doesn't hurt, either). John also suggested Thoth (because I'm a a library basement-dweller), Amaterasu (because I'm all about getting things done and throwing war-dance tantrums when someone tries to stop me) or Parvati (because I put up with and redirect him, much like Parvati puts up with Shiva's ridiculousness).

As far as who I'd like to be a Scion of, I imagine that being the daughter of Hera would be pretty awesome. She's a great mother and family figure, historically goes to bat for her children and those heroes for whom she acts as patron, and has a great combination of Olympian political clout and good relations with even more ancient figures like Rhea or Tethys. She seems like she'd probably be a pretty awesome mom.

John: I'd like to be a Scion of Zeus. In reality, I would probably also be a Scion of Zeus.

Anybody else out there want to take a stab at profiling us (or yourselves)?

8 comments:

  1. If John were a Scion of Zeus, it's obvious that he's the one destined to overthrow his father. Where can I sign up for John's army?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha, I can just imagine all of us struggling up the slopes of Olympus, waving our little flags with Js on them.

      Delete
    2. I dont know. Im a big fan of Zeus. Id probably kill him in a tragic accidental sporting event.

      Or I suppose itd could be during one of my family's classic giant fights where everyone gets disowned.

      Delete
  2. 1- Odin / Loki
    2- Heimdall / Tyr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Considering that my family is Dutch and English, that'd probably make me an Aesir/Vanir. Since I'm terrible at everything the Aesir stand for (except drinking, that I'm pretty decent at), I'd almost certainly be a Vanir.

    Which one? No idea. I'm a teacher and an artist, so.. maybe a Scion of Kvasir? Problem being that I can't sing.. but I tell really good stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was like... darn it, Tuatha, you guys are just awful at anything I'm about. Silly cultural mixing. (Actually, if we restored Brigid to the roster, she wouldn't be a bad choice for me.)

      Hey, Kvasir is poetry, you can do that all spoken-word style! Everybody doesn't have to do the traditional skalding. :)

      Delete
  4. Dare I point out how cute it is that Anne is a Scion of Hera and John is a Scion of Zeus?

    ReplyDelete