Friday, September 6, 2013

The Penthouse Suite

Question: What're your favorite Overworlds? Personally, I think the giant treehouse that the Bogovi have is pretty cool.

Oh, jeez, favorites? It's hard to pick favorites.

John, who is busy conquering the world in the name of Zeus right now in Civilization V, says his favorite is Olympus. It's not just that it's the home of the Theoi and he's their number-one fanboy, but also because he says it's one of the most clear and universally resonant Overworlds in Scion and strikes all the right chords. The idea of the sky god ruling from atop something so high up that it might as well be thought of as impossibly far away is a very old human belief, and he enjoys the blurring of lines between the top of Olympus itself, a mountain that actually exists in Greece, and the mythic Olympus where the gods dwell. To the ancient Greek, Olympus was too high and majestic and distant and awe-inspiring to ever climb to its summit; it might as well have been another world, one that mortal men could never hope to aspire to, where only the feet of gods could tread. And if some great hero did manage to scale its unfathomable heights, he would be rewarded by the sight of the home of those gods themselves, a fitting reward for his bravery and valor.

And he thinks that's cool, and it's hard to argue with that.

There's probably ar least a little bit of bias here because I wrote them, but I'm very fond of the lower middle eastern pantheons' Overworlds - Tagarit for the Elohim and Sharay for the Alihah. I love non-standard Overworlds, because in the grand sweep of cosmographies around the world, there are just as many religions that don't conform to Scion's usual setup as there are that do (maybe more, in fact), and they help reinforce the idea of different cultures and religions as their own distinct, marvelous entities. Tagarit's emphasis on the separate strongholds of the gods, who do not act in concert as a pantheon as much as they act as lords of their own domains, echoes the ancient Levant's emphasis on proudly independent city-states, and Sharay's concept of the gods eternally active and traveling, on as unending a journey as their nomadic people, moves outside Scion's usual concept of the gods just sitting around in their palaces vegetating and congratulaing themselves.

But then, you guys know I'm a sucker for middle eastern religions. I can't help myself.

8 comments:

  1. I love the fact that life in Sumeru Parvat is one huge ongoing concert, with two sets of minor gods dedicated to nothing else! (then again I'm as tilted towards the Deva as Anne is towards the Elohim)

    Besides, the Trimurti and co are, as far as I know, the only Gods who allow their devout worshippers to spend eternity with them in their Overworld (another reason they probably aren't rocking Harmony), which means that, as a Scion becomes a God, he essentially has his own cheerleading squad on tap in his sanctum (besides, I'm sure it's not in any way meant to rub into the faces of Gods of other Pantheons 'my Pantheon has more worshippers than yours!')

    That being said, I love Mount Olympus too, if only because the Theoi are my second favourite Pantheon. And while I wouldn't want to live there, the Chinese Overworld, as, essentially, a cross between the Forbidden City and a Government Department is pretty crazy cool (which, honestly, seems to be an epithet one could give to all of Chinese Mythology). Tagarit is fascinating because it essentially lets me make Las Vegas my Overworld Sanctum...and I'll probably name every last Overworld at this rate, so I'll stop it here. I will say, however, that getting to live in one of these places is a gigantic motivation for any Scion character I make up in my head on off days :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true. Become a Scion! Move into the best penthouse in existence, seriously, really!

      Delete
  2. Olympia is my favorite, for much the same reasons as John (from the Theoi fanboy part to it being the quintessential Overworld.)

    But the number two spot goes to Asgard. I'm a huge fan of the Nine Realms - I think the Norse have spot-on the coolest cosmology set up for awesome fantasy adventures, but that's probably because most modern fantasy is based off their mythology to begin with. And I like that Asgard, while easily fitting the 'Overworld' slot that Scion requires, is also just one of the nine realms. It's where the Gods live. Everything's really tall. But it isn't 'Heaven.' And I think it'd be really easy for a Scion to come and live in Asgard, as opposed to Olympia. (The Dodekatheon rule Olympus and have forever, and unless you're expecting one of them to step down in favor of you like Hestia did for Dionysus, you're stuck in the shack downstairs. In Asgard, just chop down some trees and build a really big house and invite everybody over for a housewarming party.)

    (I agree with Samudra that Tian is also a REALLY awesome overworld and is probably my #1 reason for wanting to see the Shen return. The Auspicious Department of Incoming Prayers needs to continue to cover Hermes in red tape!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, our two Theoi Scions did indeed end up living in the shacks downstairs. Aiona quite literally, since they didn't like having her around and told her to go live in a cave.

      Those poor kids.

      Delete
  3. Anne Knows this from our many "discussions" I'm an Aesir fanboy to the core. I love the vision of the kingdom of fierce warriors living in their golden roofed halls, riding out to war against the forces of chaos on a daily basis, but offering hospitality to anyone (even giant's) who come to their doors in peace. I also love the fact that many of the gods homes are described in detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is super nice to have surviving texts that describe things! Some religions, you just end up having to guess from oblique asides, but the Norse are helpful like that.

      Delete
  4. Having grown up in the South, near forests, I'm partial to places with plants. Olympus is distinctly lacking in plants. Also, I hate heights.

    Naw, I've gotta go with either Tir na nOg or Vanaheimr. Pastoral paradises full of badasses and booze? Yes please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Raise my glass to you J. Nothing like a Tuatha drinking party.

    ReplyDelete