Friday, April 11, 2014

Scion AMA: Eastern Promises, Mark II

And finally, it's time for the current crop of Eastern Promises kids, as well as several of their previous cronies! They are all about answering some questions. Enthusiastically!


HAO DONG:

FOR HAO:

Hao's it going?

Truly, it must be sad to live in a culture where the only source of humor is provided by puns... I shall pray for you.

Just wondering, Hao you doing?

Ignorance begets ignorance...

Hao's life these days?

Have you met King Lionel?

LIONEL CUTHBERT:

Seriously, dude?! What the hell!? How can you be such a terrible person?!

I’m no more terrible than the next man. Less so than many, I’m sure. I suggest you consider removing the log from your eye before concerning yourself with the tiny speck in mine, hypocrite.

Perhaps you misunderstand where I am coming from? Just know that there are two types of people in this world of ours: Leaders and Followers. I am simply one of the first lot, and it’s imperative that those of the second never forget that.

To those of us who are sons of Gods, the common person is nothing but a plaything, a tool to be used, a stepping stone, a minor pest, or a bump in the road. As the Apostle Paul wrote in his Letter to the Ephesians, slaves should obey their masters with "fear, trembling, and singleness of heart." This is certainly true of those who already find themselves in chains, just as it will be for those who have yet to join their numbers.

MOHINI MISRA:

In all your travels, which culture's music has touched you the most?

This is a hard question. I have never heard music that I did not like; even when it is very strange, like the plunky music we heard at the lord's house in Kyoto, it still sounds like the feelings and thoughts of the people who are making it. Music is like listening to the spirit of the musician, and there is something beautiful in every spirit, I think. Sometimes that's the easiest way to find it.

I've heard music in all kinds of places now, like Britain and France and even Japan, but no matter how much I enjoy them, my favorite moments have always been listening to good friends. Padma is not much of a singer (but don't tell her I said so, I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings!), but she can make lovely music on a piano. If only there were a way for us to bring one with us for her!

But beyond all of these, I miss most of all the music at home, in the temple. There are many beautiful songs in the world, but none of them are raga on a late warm evening.

You were exposed to a wide selection of Indian dance styles in your life at the temple... how many new ones have you learnt now that you no longer have a disapproving Devadasi over you? Are there any new western styles you love an have learnt/want to learn? And which is your favourite of them all?

The more I travel, the more I begin to think that I will never see all the forms of dance that the world has to offer! In India alone, where I am most at home, there are many still that I have only had the opportunity to learn the first steps of. I have learned more Kathak now, and it is one of my favorites because it moves so much, and once I saw a monk all the way from Guwahati perform a Sattriya that told the story of the birth of the Pandavas. He could not teach it to me, of course, because it is a man's art, but I confess I remember a little of it and maybe someday I will try it for myself. It's a little bit prideful, I know, but I would love to learn more of the Mohiniyattam I saw once when we traveled north from Kerala - I feel like I would be a natural, don't you think? It looks like so much fun!

The first dance I ever saw in Europe was in London - Shadan took me to see a ballet! It is a very different style of dance, all curves and spins, and half the time it seems like the dancers' feet are never on the ground at all so that they are dancing in the air. I met some of the dancers afterward and they tried to teach it to me, but Shadan made a little fun of me. Apparently it doesn't look the same when I do it. But I performed it for the raja in the Himalayas later that year and he was very impressed, so what does Shadan know?

Recently we went to Paris to visit a place called the Moulin Rouge, where they have dance shows all night every night. The can can dance doesn't tell much of a story, but it is very energetic! (Not to mention making Padma turn quite flushed. Especially when Shadan is also there.) I haven't tried it myself, but I'm sure I'll see even more since we can't seem to get back to India any time soon.



NISHA:

How are your dance moves coming along?

Well, once I finally catch up with Mohini, I can show her! *awkward monkey dancing ensues*

PADMA BILLINGSWORTH:

What do you see in Shadan? It's the moustache, isn't it?

My relationship with Shadan is very complicated. I wish emotions were tangible so that I may remove them from within my heart to be examined and analysed and replaced carefully in a way that makes sense. I cannot explain how I can love a man who lies and steals and participates in unsavoury recreations, just as I cannot explain how that same man, in his own fashion, does his best to protect and defend and respect me, which, I assure you, is often quite difficult in our present circumstances. Where lesser men have been intimidated by or shown contempt for my aptitudes he has instead displayed curiosity and even pride, and the fact that he values me for these capabilities and not merely for my agreeable nature or pretty face makes him one of the best men I have ever known.

Please tell us: if nobody stopped you, what would be your perfect ideal day and who would be there/what would you do? Don't worry, it'll be our little secret!

If you had asked me this question a few years ago, my answer would have been very different. A perfect day then would have been meticulously planned and consisted of time spent rereading books in my father's small library, practising my études on the piano in our parlour, a dinner party that did not include any undesirable prospective suitors, and perhaps an evening at the theatre with a friend.

However, I have grown accustomed to a life more exotic and spontaneous than the one I led in England. My perfect day now would start with watching my beautiful friend Mohini perform her sun salutations, because that ritual has become one of the few constants in my life. Together with Shadan, we would enjoy a leisurely stroll around whatever city we were visiting, perhaps stopping in a clothier so I could be fitted for a new dress. I would take tea with my dear friend, Cassara, and ask her to again regale me with stories of her studies back in America. I would, of course, fancy a visit to a book shop or museum, but if I must be frank, I would get more enjoyment from allowing Mohini and Shadan to make a production of convincing me to accompany them to some public house or opium den. Even though I still have my reservations about engaging myself in their recreations, it does make me happy to watch them enjoy themselves. But please do not let on! I would hate for anything to spoil their fun.



SHADAN MIRZA FARMIN FARMA:

Would you rather steal 100 duck sized horses or 1 horse sized duck?

I wouldn’t steal anything! Stealing is wrong, dear asker. Now being a thrifty buyer/haggler is another story. But if I had to make an investment, it would obviously be the 100 duck sized horses. You could sell them all over the world! Give them as gifts! They would be such a rarity that people would be thrilled to have them. A horse sized duck...that sounds like a Nemean duck, and it also sounds like a lot of work to feed and keep up with. How would you make sure it didn’t fly away? The duck sized horses, my friend, would be far easier to handle, and also less noticeable.

What would you say is the worst thing you ever did?

Hmm, the worst thing I ever did? Why would you want to know? I am a kind and generous man. Now I have seen other men do horrible things, so I can understand, question asker, that you would assume that all men do horrible things. Well allow me to convince you that you have met the exception! Now of course I have made mistakes in my past, who hasn't? But if I were to say what my biggest mistake was it would have to be getting caught. I hadn't done anything wrong, but the Indians seemed to think otherwise. I was less convincing when I was younger apparently. But the short and the quick of it was that I found myself in an Indian prison...not for very long mind you, but they actually put me in a cell! I know what you’re thinking, how could they!? And I agree completely. Which is why I was only there as long as I needed to be. I took my leave, and what I arrived at as a fair reimbursement of my time from the local guardsmen and their overseer, and made my way on to my next adventure.

You're shipwrecked on a deserted island forever. What three people and three items would you want with you?

I have had many people think they could keep me in single place for an extended period of time, and I have disappointed them all! If I had the choice I would want a shipbuilder, a chef, and a dancer. If the chef and dancer could be beautiful women that would be a plus. The items I would want would be a woodman’s metal ax, a nice copper pot that distributes heat evenly, and a very healthy poppy plant. I think that would entertain me sufficiently until I was ready to leave.



TERRY GAITHER:

Is being a cowboy as awesome as we've always heard?

...Yep.

Might even be more awesome.

There ain't a place I'd rather be than out with Lucky, a'gallopin' through the prairies, the wind a'rushin' through my hair. I swear, when it's just the two of us, we can outrun even the biggest problems.

And that's it for the nineteenth century crowd! Stay tuned later for gods upon gods upon gods!

10 comments:

  1. These were adorable! Except for Lionel. He was scary. Nope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some degree of "nope" is the usual response to Lionel.

      Delete
  2. Oh Padma Paddington, your answers made me smile =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!

      Sidenote: I'm glad I wrote these before last Wednesday.

      Delete
    2. I know you didn't mean it that way, but I'm so entertained by thinking of all the ways you could mean, "Well, now my perfect day could involve..."

      Delete
  3. More awesome 19th century attitudes played in truth - Lionel especially. What a great example of a villain protagonist. But as for the rest, I can't choose a favorite. Mohini from the Anne School of Awesome, Shadan with his being able to sell ice to an inuit (that would be an interesting myth) or Terry Gaither just for his sheer American simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lionel's sheer unapologetic horribleness is enough to derail many a mission... and then Shadan usually turns it into a swashbuckling escapade.

      Delete
  4. Must murder Lionel...must murder Lionel... must murder Lionel for the good of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not the first with that mantra. You probably won't be the last.

      Delete