Sunday, April 6, 2014

Scion AMA: Eastern Promises, Mark I

The first round of Eastern Promises characters are here to tell you about their experiences! We'll hear from some members of Faruza's merry globe-trotting, cow-collecting band, as well as Alvin's group of high-class miscreants in a world that really ought to be catering to their needs way better than it does. Also, bonus Yadi.

The one drawback of the Eastern Promises rotating roster is that when characters are out of play, we all miss them and want them to come back and be ridiculous all at the same time.


ALVIN GILBERT DU MOTIER DE LAFAYETTE:

We've all seen how you look at Leona, so just between us... how do you feel about her?

Leona is beautiful, that’s true, but unfortunately she is also way too snooty for my tastes. Besides, she’s James’ girl, he seems pretty keen on her, and I wouldn’t try and get involved, even if I wanted to. She’s a great companion and I always feel better when she’s around, but she’s like the sister I never had, which goes along pretty well with James being the brother that I have to keep an eye on and protect. Besides, I’ve got my eye on someone else...

FARUZA ALINEJAD:

You grew up in a pretty restrictive culture. Do you appreciate the freedom of traveling the world now? How are things different for you now?

On the contrary, I grew up in a place that was welcoming and nurturing, where children were supported and taught and their parents free to pursue life without dangers. There is a great difference between restriction and wisdom; the first shuts out knowledge and traps mankind in narrow thoughts and deeds, but the second guides them toward actions that are righteous and just, and protects them from danger and deception. My parents and my people risked a great deal to make sure that I would grow up with the freedom to learn and live in safety and spirituality, for which I will always be grateful.

Traveling is not bad in and of itself, but I do miss the contemplation of the old days. It was good to have time for my own studies as well as educating children, and peace and quiet for reflection and thought. I don't get those things anymore. It's good to meet new people and learn from them as well as teaching them, but it's never calm.

As for being different now, well... when I was a girl, it was pretty much assumed that I would spend most of my life quietly teaching children and living in my father's house. I wasn't considered much of a catch, and my family was not poor enough to need to match me against anybody's will (and later, certain biological conditions made me unsuitable for spousehood anyway). So it was something of a surprise that Paul, who was very much from a part of the world I never expected to see, would take such a strong interest in me, even to the point of proposing marriage. I am a wife now, which is a very large change... but not one I would say I'm unhappy with.

The largest change is that my people have been reunited, and now live together away from the dangerous influence of the Qajar throne. I am so glad to be back with my parents, and that everyone is safe and has the freedom to practice their religion without oppression or danger to their lives.



HAJI:

Why do you keep eating horses?

Uh... Because... they are, uh… big and tasty? And they travel good. Goats and things are good, too, but smaller, so not as good. But, uh, I’m not picky. I will eat anything Boss or Other Boss gives me.

Didn't you used to have a brother? What happened to him?

Well, I still got a brother. He’s just busy, uh, doing stuff for Dad, so I don't see him a bunch.

I think probably the Bosses and Missus Young and the pretty lady probably think it's better when we’re not together. Things don't break so much. But I hope I see him soon. And Grandmother. And Little Sister. And, uh, the rest of them… I got lots of family, but, sometimes, I think they get lost.

JAMES HOWARD:

You seem to be interested in Leona, but we haven't seen any wedding announcements yet. Are you just stringing her along?

Clearly, you have me confused with someone else - perhaps the Marquis de Lafayette? Were you to know me, you would know that I would not lead a woman along, particularly not one as noble and lovely as Lady Leona. However, fate is often the cruelest of opponents. It provides me the opportunity to know Lady Leona, while at the same time placing me in a position where my marriage must be approved by Her Royal Majesty, Victoria. While I very much hope that in your times society has overcome its obsession with the race and color of ones skin, alas these times are not those.

Now, certainly, in time, I shall overcome these obstacles and Lady Leona and I shall be united. Perhaps when we are no longer saving creation from the errors of less competent individuals.

If there was one god you could officially chastize or punish for anything, who would it be and why?

I would not presume to chastise divinity, doing so seems both presumptuous and unwise. However, I should be very interested to hear Set explain the behavior of his sons, and Lord Marduk explain why he keeps placing me in such close proximity to them.

What is your greatest fear?

Fear is an ignoble emotion, but a man that does not acknowledge its existence is either a fool or a liar. As I am neither of those, I can admit to a certain trepidation regarding the future. I am concerned that something untoward may happen to Lady Leona, or the Empire. Thus I work very hard to ensure that neither of those things comes to fruition.

LEONA MIDDLETON:

I don't care what Victoria thinks, I think you'd make a fantastic royal!

You're not alone, dear. On either count.



PANIWI BAYTERU:

Did you know that Haji misses you bunches?

That is because Haji doesn't know what is good for him and is wandering around strange lands with strange people instead of going home. They aways think there is something better on the other side of the water. Usually, it's just more mud.



PENELOPE YOUNG:

Why can't you just let the kids have their fun?!

Because, as much as they may like to think so, they are not children and their foolishness has no place in the jobs we were sent to do.

How does one deal with so many uncivilised people for so long?

I haven't the faintest idea how I have retained my sanity. Perhaps I haven't. I suppose that is quite likely, in fact.

SHANTI PAVAATIKA:

What was meeting your mother like?

Mother is a force of nature, and the most faithful follower of Dharma. While my mortal mind was overwhelmed by her sheer presence, my soul cried for her sacrifice. Divine Kali is every bit the monster that her pantheon requires her to be. She allows herself to be loathed, feared, and hated, so that others may be respected, desired, and loved - and yet even those in her pantheon, who have the wisdom to see beyond this veil, refuse to bow before her devotion. I am humbled by my mother, and my mortal knees tremble at her approach - but I love her more than her enemies fear her.

YADI:

What was growing up like for you? Did you have any friends or get crushes on anyone? Did you have to leave anything behind to go start adventuring?

I'm not sure what to say! I didn't think about growing up because I didn't notice it happening to me. I spent all my time trying to make sure I had food to eat and a safe place to sleep, and I guess that's something other kids don't have to think about so they notice themselves getting older.

I knew a lot of people who weren't so nice, but there were a lot more people who were really nice to me. Some ladies would give me their daughters' old clothes, and there was one old man who gave me a date as a treat almost every time I saw him. I had a few friends who lived on the streets too, and we would help each other sometimes. Some of the older girls would try to help take care of me, but then one day they would say they were women and they would leave. I hope they're okay. My best friend Omar would bring me some of his mother's bread and we would go walk around the market and he would make up stories about the merchants and their wares. He's so funny! He is the person I miss the very most.

I didn't have many possessions before I left, but I did have my freedom, and I guess that's the only thing I had to give up when I left on my father's orders. I couldn't go and do as I pleased anymore, because I was doing his work. I think I gained a lot, though! I had so many great experiences and got to eat amazing food and I travelled and met people all over the place!

And that's it for now! Next time, even more nineteenth-century wackiness.

4 comments:

  1. I just think it's awesome how in-character you guys are for 19th century people. It really speaks miles about your ability as roleplayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, players are here for the God-level game and they are all flattered!

      Delete
  2. Dear Seph,

    I do not remember how old I was when I first went to the Temple of Kali at Dakshineshwar, but I remember seeing the idol there and being just a little scared. Over time, as I grew up, I learnt to love Kali as a mother for what she is.

    Thank you for that beautiful answer. You have, sitting on the other side of the world, taken the words right out of my heart. I do love her more than her enemies fear her. You made me smile when I read that. So, once again, thank you. You have captured the essence of Kali :)

    - Samudra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Samudra!

    ReplyDelete