Friday, January 11, 2013

The Long Road to Heaven

Question: How close are your god PCs to legend 12?

Not close, thank god. (Not that we don't want them to be Legend 12. We do. Just not right now.)

They're currently all Legend 10, and probably will be Legend 10 for quite some time, at least until the end of the current story (which involves visiting a lot of Titanrealms, so it looks like it'll take a while). Our games don't tend to see groups go up in Legend all that quickly - there were many months of real time, playing each week, before the PCs made it from Legend 7 to 8 and from 8 to 9. We prefer to let that happen as stories are completed and PCs have done truly epic deeds, so it varies based on what's going on.

But generally, it requires a lot more awesomeness to go from Legend 9 to 10 than from Legend 2 to 3, so it takes longer and longer to "Legend up" the higher up the ladder you get. It'll probably be a good long while - maybe a few months, maybe longer? I dunno - before the current god-level PCs make Legend 11, and even longer after that before they finally hit 12. And when they hit 12, it'll be a while before they're truly as powerful as other Legend 12 gods who have had a lot longer to build up their power and consolidate their positions.

So they're in no danger of running out of places to grow at the moment. Their biggest concerns are generally surviving the divine politics of all the other pantheons and making disappointed faces at us every week we don't have our shit together regarding Industry or new Frost boons.

3 comments:

  1. Months at a time for legend. Wouldn't mind that. I'm having to do that in the game I am in if the GM remembers to roll my fatebindings.

    Now, when you give legend, is it everyone at once or certain people at certain times? Then, do you(probably going to be smacked by John) use the Companion rules on required fatebindings for going up in legend and by association, use the ready to play Demi-god/God system?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've tried it both ways, but we're more fond now of having PCs go up individually. Not everyone is always at the same level of heroic awesomeness at the same time, and it's a fun spur for some players to see one of their fellows go up in Legend and be like, "Aha! I might be close!" Because our stories are so long and our Legend dots so far apart, there's not much of a problem with PCs getting too far away from each other - we've never had anybody more than a Legend higher than the other PCs except in really early Hero (i.e., 2-4).

      No, I believe John thinks the ready=to-play system in Companion is "terrible" and "awful" or words to that effect. We do require a certain number of Fatebonds for Demigods, however, and a certain number of full Fatebound cults for gods.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I am going to have to agree with 'John' and his words on this one. I had one game where I needed to do so. The GM knew the pains of it and knew that it didn't work, so he doubled the bonus points to try and balance itself out. I was legend 7 and I had no Epics past 3(I was slightly spread out.) and no boons past 4. Everyone else was trouncing me at everything. I could of remedied it with XP, but the game is discontinued now and we are on to Legend of the Five Rings.

      If you have people come in to your games at a later date(and I stress if cause I do not know whether or not you allow it), do you start people at around the same XP as the players or at zero or some other number?

      In a game where I am still 50-60 xp behind people, though I started at 100+ behind people. There is a big difference between me and the others. And there is a difference between me and the people forced to do the templates.

      Delete