Friday, January 4, 2013

Listening to Skyfall on repeat while writing this

This question is for John, unless Anne is also STing, in which case, both! After your characters reach high-level Demigod and God, do you ever get nostalgic for the challenges and intrigues that can only affect Heroes and low-level Demigods, like mortals, trolls, ghosts, Jersey Devils and vampires?

Yes? I do miss those. I revel and joy in the insane badassery of god combat, and the ridiculous levels of political intrigue happening with a near infinite cast of characters at god. But I do miss the simple times with simple flavors and baby scions just starting out in the world.

However, I find I bore of the small stuff very quickly. It sometimes seems too much DnD or generic spy/scifi game and I have to struggle to bring the myth back into it. When I start a new hero game I try to start simple, but very quickly Im piling on the levels of politics and themes. So much so that a new hero game(if happening in a different world from one Im already running) ends up taking SOO much more time then god game because I'm building a massive world from scratch.

Yes, the heroes get to go around and solve mysteries and kill trolls. But why aren't the gods interfering? Which gods are friends? Which are enemies? How will PCs' actions affect all of that? If one PC kills another, or a PC kills an NPC Scion, or curses, spits on gods or something those gods love....how will it all play out? I want to be as prepped as possible for those times so I'm not flying by the seat of my pants, making things up that might not work out later.

Then once I get all that worked out....I'm pretty bored of the hero stuff and ready for the PCs to actually be doing stuff that matters in this new world I made

TLDR: Hero games can be lots of fun. But they're more work than a game in a already functioning world, so I dont really get nostalgic about them much.

No comments:

Post a Comment