Wednesday, March 7, 2012

People of the Sun

Question: Why aren't the Inca gods in the "Next Write-Up" poll?

Because we're already in the process of working on them, so there's no need to vote for them. They are even now causing us many headaches and trips to the library.

I usually don't advertise which pantheon we're working on, both because it's kind of a fun surprise and because I don't want to be inundated with emails full of righteous anger that we're A) not doing another, clearly more deserving pantheon first, or B) too slow about finishing it. Pantheon supplements take a long time to write and polish, and they have to take a back seat to things that our players need in the here and now, so they're often a long wait. I think the three we have up now took an average of three months or so each.

I was pleased that the Incas won the last poll in a landslide, actually, because they were the next culture I really wanted to work on anyway. They're one of those pantheons I think is really a necessity for Scion, so it's off to cross-reference my notes on the Andes until my eyes start cross-referencing themselves.

5 comments:

  1. Just curious what makes the Inca a clear necessity in your mind?(That may sound nastier than I intend, I am legitimately curious here not trying to turn it into a other pantheon is more deserving thing)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few things, really. For one thing, the Incas are exactly the kind of pantheon that Scion thrives on; they're a cohesive group of beings who know one another and who were the major focus of an empire-wide religion. For another, they're actually still active, more so than many of the crusty old folks like the Dodekatheon or Pesedjet - Quechua peoples in Peru still perform rites to Pachamama or ask Supay's blessing before descending into the mines, despite Christianity's influence on the area. Finally, they're the big cheeses of South American religions, and Scion completely neglects that continent - the Incas are the perfect way to bring the southern West into the game at large.

      Also, they have very fun names.

      Delete
  2. As the guy who asked that question (and wasn't present for the last poll), awesome! I loves me some South American mythology. I myself have tried to add an Inca writeup myself (with not much actual success, se here: http://forums.white-wolf.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=57032), so I'm really looking forward to the release.

    Secondary question, then: If you're using this to inject some badly needed South America into Scion, will you be introducing some of the Amazonian/Patagonian mythical antagonists into the mix? Cause I'd love to see how you'd stat a curupira or a mapinguari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I've seen your work! :) I actually lurk pretty much constantly over at the forums. I think we're probably going to be using some similar themes - I think Huaca will almost certainly be their PSP, at the very least. It's too huge a common theme and indigenous feature to ignore.

      I haven't gotten as far as antagonists yet (other than big names), but it's definitely on the table. I love me some other South American myths besides the Incas (I'm especially fond of the wacky Guarani stories, which John just finds creepy), and since I doubt they'll be getting their own supplement any time soon, I just might sneak a few in.

      Delete