Monday, November 4, 2013

I'm Not the Interesting Part of This Post

This evening, a plea for volunteers and a peace offering for everyone else!

As most of you know, I'm doing some graduate work right now, and with all graduate work comes the ever-looming spectre of research. If anybody out there has about ten minutes and would like to help me out, I've got two polls here asking about ethics issues in libraries and museums, and I figure since you fine folks have a vested, mythology-lovin' interest in libraries and museums, you'd be good people to ask.

Ethics in Libraries/Museums
Legal Issues in Libraries/Museums

It's totally anonymous, I will still love you if you don't feel like doing it, and there are only 20 total questions so if you do go for it, it should be pretty quick. There are comment boxes for each question, but feel free to skip them if you don't have anything in particular to say.

For those of you in the audience that didn't feel like being recruited for my academic exploits, here's something totally unrelated but incredibly awesome. The video below - which you should totally listen to until the end because it is so very, very worth it - is of a live performance of the epic Anglo-Saxon poem Beowulf by professional modern-day skald Benjamin Bagby. Bagby tours the world performing the six-hour epic for sold-out audiences, and it's not hard to see why; he performs it with traditional harp and entirely in the original Old English, and he is fucking fantastic.


If this man ever comes even vaguely within range of our house, we will climb a mountain of corpses and fight the entire MMA lineup in single combat to get tickets. If you want to invite him to be intimidatingly Anglo-Saxon in your living room, you can get a copy of his DVD on his website. The medieval musical group he founded, Sequentia, also does a pretty killer musical reconstruction of what the Edda might have sounded like in the original Old Norse.

So if I offended you mortally by asking for research volunteers, please let me buy your love back with traditional Viking poetic performance. Back to your regularly scheduled programming tomorrow!

18 comments:

  1. Wow, that is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
    Did the second survey too to show my appreciation all the hard work you two do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a librarian's son and museum worker, I'm happy to oblige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ye gods, these questions... the second one in particular... These are some issues I deal with constantly and I'm trying to not make my answers into theses... yeeergh

      Delete
    2. Heh, I'm hearing that a lot from the people in library and museums that have answered. :)

      Delete
    3. Yeah, those are some very thought-provoking questions - I hope my answers were helpful.

      Delete
  3. Completed the first survey, then started spending waaaay too much time thinking about the questions in the second one. I'll get back to it later, promise.

    Also...DAT VOICE!!!
    I think I'm in love...

    Thank you so much for the video :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I could listen to him all the time any time.

      Delete
  4. OMG, am sure Alex would be all over this song.... you just made his day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he enjoys it. :) I do!

      Delete
    2. It's pretty awesome! We saw tons of Icelandic bands since we happened to go the same week of Iceland Airwaves 2013. Bunch of Local bands playing live in various cafes!

      Delete
  5. I have actually heard him perform part of Beowulf live, it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There you go Anne. Surveys answered. I never quite realized the sort of ethical questions that could come up with libraries and museums before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a whole secret world where people duel to the death over copyright in the shadows. :)

      Delete
  7. A lot of the questions regarding the creation of copies have significant impact on artists as well. Also being an art historian, it becomes an especially complex issue considering differing cultural views on art and historical importance.

    Nothing's ever simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. For libraries and museums these things primarily come up in the context of ancient art, but modern artwork has even more of a legal minefield to deal with.

      Delete