Monday, February 18, 2013

The God-Time Continuum

Question: Hello, Anne and John! I know you got a lot of work with this blog, but could you write a timeline of past and present events of each of the bands you run? Or only of "Better Next Time" and "Skeins of Fate" if it's too time-consuming, please? It would be very good if we could know the history of your PCs. Anyway, thanks for answering me.

Ha ha, that sounds like a lot of fun, but you're right, it would also be very time-consuming!

John's immediate response was "what, no, are you crazy", but he doesn't love organizational timelines the way I do. I actually have a very large, very complicated master timeline that I use to keep things consistent for the stories as I write them, but it's a massive specialized file with way too many future spoilers on it. A writer's got to have some secrets. (Also, I think you guys might not be able to read it, because it's kind of a huge jumble of skinny colored lines and itty-bitty text with made-up shorthand that wasn't designed for anyone but me.)

It would probably depend on how complicated a timeline you guys want. If you just want a text list along the lines of "May 1993: Geoff gets his Visitation. August 1995: Aurora's first band kicks the bucket," I could probably knock that out in an hour or two. If you wanted something more classically timeline laid-out, that would take more time, and if you want a full-on pretty continuum graphic, that would be a pretty massive project. I like doing stuff for our games and stories, so I'd be happy to do it... but all the time I spent working on that, I wouldn't be spending working on writing more fiction or statting a new pantheon.

Man, where's the art department in this two-person operation?

15 comments:

  1. Your art department is currently occupied with a design backlog and programming homework. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I'm sorry! I wasn't trying to needle you! Your awesomeness is what makes so much of our work pretty - you'll never hear us complaining. :)

      Delete
    2. No, that's not - I didn't think -

      d'aaaaw

      Delete
  2. I hear Thomas has an art degree...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work in an art department already so...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anne and John, I'm the guy who asked this question and a simple timeline only listing the events would suffice for me, but if it would take a valuable time that could be spent in other cooler things for your group and the community i'm totally against it! I agree with John that my request is crazy but I asked for it because when I first saw this site it took me a long time to figure out the status of your PCs and NPCs. Maybe this could help new and returning visitors and this dumb here who haven't understood it yet and are very, very curious about all this stuff. And may the mercy Of Our Lady Anne protect me from the Furious John, I hope he's not too angry at me. Thank you both:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, don't worry about him. His grumble is worse than his bite.

      Well, we are working on a bunch of stuff right now... but I'll see what I can do if I have some spare time. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I know not everybody has time to read all the fiction, but there is a page for that in chronological order, so that might help a bit if you were going to read it anyway. It's still not 100% because some of the stories overlap one another from different points of view, but you get the general shape of it.

      Delete
    3. Thank you! I'm already grateful that you considered it!

      Delete
  5. I'm working on my art degree, so...

    ReplyDelete