Sunday, April 20, 2014

Lady of Light, Lord of Night

Question: Thanks for doing the AMAs, they are awesome! I'm enjoying the little playlists you put in them, but you mentioned a long time ago that you had full-length song lists for some of your other characters. Any chance we can see some of those? Please?

This question has been sitting around in the queue for a week or two now and I've been avoiding it because of many other projects, but better late than never, right? The last two were romantic mixes (...sort of? Do Aurora and Wolf qualify?), but this one is for a different kind of relationship: the bond between Alison and Colin Margaritas, star-crossed siblings who revolved around each other as the centers of their respective universes, but were always kept apart by the unconquerable gravity of their different natures. He was youth and carelessness, madness and innocence, darkness and confusion and strong emotions; she was adulthood and responsibility, clarity and knowledge, light and justice and logic. It shouldn't surprise anyone that Colin, in the end, tried to take responsibilities onto shoulders that were never suited for them, or that Alison, in her extremity, became the most sanely logical kind of mad.

Covers after the jump, because free time is for chumps.




1. The Dandy Warhols - I Am a Scientist
Religiously I'm speaking only science
Because we've got to live on science alone
I tell you what mathematically I'm having it
We've got to live on science alone


2. The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist
That boy needs therapy

3. Dido - Don't Leave Home
If you're cold I'll keep you warm
And if you're low just hold on
Because I will be your safety
Don't leave home


4. B.O.B. - Magic
I've got the magic in me
Everybody knows I've got the magic in me


5. Vienna Teng - St. Stephen's Cross
He was there the night the wall came down
He lost her in the endless crowd
In the shadow of St. Stephen's cross
He sent cries aloft for his fellow man
His fingers slipping from her hand
And the rainclouds prowling overhead


6. Flobots - Handlebars
I can guide a missile by satellite
And I can hit a target through a telescope
And I can end the planet in a holocaust
And I can ride my bike with no handlebars


7. Matt Nathanson - Heartbreak World
In this heartbreak world of just imagine
With its tired talk of better days
In this heartbreak world where nothing matters
Let's make this dream that's barely half awake come true


8. Vienna Teng - My Medea
Inside the labyrinth walls
There lies a tiny child who sleeps alone
And as the daylight falls
The wind becomes so wild across the stone
For I have made her prison be
Her every step away from me
And this child I will destroy
If you try to set her free


9. They Might Be Giants - Boss of Me
You're not the boss of me now
You're not the boss of me now
You're not the boss of me now
And you're not so big


10. Linkin Park - Numb
I've become so numb
I can't feel you there
I've become so tired
So much more aware
I'm becoming this
All I want to do
Is be more like me
And be less like you


11. Fall Out Boy - Sugar We're Going Down
We're going down, down in an earlier round
And sugar we're going down swinging
I'll be your number one with a bullet
A loaded god-complex, cock it and pull it


12. Coldplay - The Scientist
I was just guessing at numbers and figures
Pulling the puzzles apart
Questions of science, science and progress
Don't speak as loud as my heart


13. Matchbox 20 - Unwell
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
I know right now you can't tell
But stay a while and maybe then you'll see
A different side of me
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired
I know right now you don't care
But soon enough you're going to think of me
And how I used to be


14. David Cook - Permanent
Will you think that you're all alone when no one's there to hold your hand?
When all you know seems so far away and everything is temporary
Rest your head
I'm permanent


15. Coldplay - Viva la Vida
I hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing
Roman cavalry choirs were singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
Missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can't explain
Once you were gone it was never
Never an honest word
And that was when I ruled the world


16. The Dixie Chicks - Not Ready to Make Nice
I'm not ready to make nice
I'm not ready to back down
I'm still mad as hell and I don't have time to go around and round and round
It's too late to make it right
I probably wouldn't if I could


17. Howie Day - Collide
When I'm open, you're closed
Where I follow you'll go
I worry I won't see your face light up again


18. My Chemical Romance - The Ghost of You
At the end of the world
The last thing I see:
You are never coming home


19. Poe - Control
Don't you mess with a little girl's dream
Because she's liable to grow up mean


20. John Mayer - Free Fallin' (Tom Petty cover)
I'm a bad boy because I don't even miss her
I'm a bad boy for breaking her heart
But I'm free
Free-fallin'


21. Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
You'd better run, better run, outrun my gun
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
You'd better run, better run faster than my bullet


22. Radiohead - Paranoid Android
When I am king you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all
What's that?
I may be paranoid but I'm not an android


23. Dr. Dre & Eminem - I Need a Doctor
I'm about to lose my mind
You've been gone for so long
I'm running out of time
I need a doctor
Call me a doctor
I need a doctor to bring me back to life


24. Seether & Amy Lee - Broken
I'm broken when I'm open
And I don't feel like I am strong enough
I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away


25. Better Than Ezra - Desperately Wanting
Kick them right in the face
Make them wish you weren't born
And if they bring up your name
Well they'll say you won the war
Baby burst in the world
Never given a chance
Then they ask what went wrong
When you never had it right


26. Shawn Colvin - Sunny Came Home
Sunny came home with a list of names
She didn't believe in transcendence
"It's time for a few small repairs" she said
Sunny came home with a vengeance


27. Emilie Autumn - Fight Like a Girl
There is no such thing as justice
The best that we can hope for is revenge
A hostile takeover
An absolute rebellion to the end
This is our battle cry
I'm giving you a head start
You're going to need it


28. Bob Dylan - Oh Sister
We grew up together
From the cradle to the grave
We died and were reborn
And were mysteriously saved
Oh sister when I come to knock on your door
Don't turn away; you'll create sorrow
Time is an ocean but it ends at the shore
You may not see me tomorrow


29. Dessa - Childrens' Work
I've learned how to paint my face
How to earn my keep, how to clean my kill
Some nights I still can't sleep
The past rolls back and I can see us still
You've learned how to hold your own
How to stack your stones but the history's thick
Children aren't as simple as we'd like to think


30. Jonathan Groff & Lea Michele - There Once Was a Pirate
There once was a pirate
Who put out to sea
His mates all around him
No maiden on his knee
Oh, sail for a little
A little little little
He'll sail for a little until she finds him

There once was a maiden
Who wandered the meads
To gather blue violets
Her mama would need
Oh, wail through the willows
All hollow through the willows
She'll wail through the willows until she finds him




I have a lot of feelings about these two poor kids... as do most of the players, I'm pretty sure.

4 comments:

  1. From the title I was expecting this to be the Erebus Jioni mix (because I misread Light as Night).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, ha! No, but that would be a fun mix, too.

      Delete
  2. there like some weird, twisted, fucked up reversal of Apollo and Artemis with dashes of Athena and Diyonisus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good analysis - they're very similar to Apollo vs. Artemis (male vs. female, adult vs. childhood) in some ways, but in others more similar to the dichotomy between Apollo and Dionysus (reason vs. emotion).

      Delete